The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
But it's not an automatic. It's a Tremec TR-9070 DCT which Tremec calls an automated manual. I think that's a fair description because you still get to control the shifting if you want. I have a buddy who sells Hyundais and he told me that when they sell a DCT equipped car they are very careful how they position it for this very reason. A lot of people bring them back because they can't adapt to the feel of the DCT and its lightning fast shifts.

I am totally a manual guy for performance cars, but I'd definitely do a DCT gearbox in either my track car or DD. I view it as an ideal solution.

I have a 2020 GT350R on order but sometimes this GT500 makes my eyes wander . . . then I remember that I have a 707hp SUV that I can rarely go full throttle in for more than a few seconds because it accelerates so hard. So imagine 53hp more and 1100lbs less weight!?!

2 questions:
1) will we be getting a new GT500 section on TMO?
2) does anyone have any pics of a GT500 in Magnetic with no stripes?

1) will we be getting a new GT500 section on TMO?
At the present time no. Other than the engine it's not that different from the other S550 cars and more specifically the GT350. We're trying not to get split into too many sub sections due to our size. We are TrackMustangsOnline and that encompasses all Mustangs but with a specific focus on S197, S550 and all next generation Mustangs. I've been thinking about removing all references for specific Mustang models. I can be convinced to change my mind though. Thoughts from others?

Thank you, Bob! Nice 'problem' to have, I must admit! But, realistically, the 350R is what I really, really, REALLY want.

I honestly think that if I wanted a bazillion hp autobox coupe thing, I would buy a Hellcat of some sort, in part because they can be had for tremendous discounts vs ADMs on the 500. But I already have a Hellcat engine in the Trackhawk so my choice shifts back to the 350R to complement my Boss LS (7 years owned as of this weekend, actually!).

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
At the present time no. Other than the engine it's not that different from the other S550 cars and more specifically the GT350. We're trying not to get split into too many sub sections due to our size. We are TrackMustangsOnline and that encompasses all Mustangs but with a specific focus on S197, S550 and all next generation Mustangs. I've been thinking about removing all references for specific Mustang models. I can be convinced to change my mind though. Thoughts from others?

I think it would detract from the site if you removed specific model references, assuming that means it would be one big pot. It's nice to have tech sections devoted to specific models as there are major differences. Not sure the GT500 should have a section though, it's still just an S550 variant so maybe add it in with the GT350/S550 section which would become GT500/GT350/S550?

The site works pretty good as it is conceived now IMHO.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
On the GT500 itself - how much electronic help is the handling getting, and what are the driver's options really like?

Does anybody else have a tendency to tap a shift paddle a second time if response to the first tap is slow in coming? I'd personally prefer a shift lever with a +/- gate if only to better help avoid running into this (whole arm movement necessarily taking more time than a finger tap, and momentarily having to one-hand the steering wheel has never felt like a problem before).

Norm

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Keep the basic arrangement the way it is.

Time will tell if there's enough GT500-unique powertrain topics to warrant a separate GT500 powertrain sub-section under "GT350 and S550 Technical Forum". Anything else isn't going to be much different from other S550s.

Norm

Let me clarify. Instead of saying GT350 and S550 Technical Forum it would just say S550 Technical Forum. The layout would not change. Eventually we’ll add an S650 Technical Forum for that platform when it arrives.

I agree simpler is better. I recently sat down with my son and we looked at several other forums to see if we could get any ideas to improve our layout and we didn’t come up with any. I’m not saying we’re perfect or there’s not ways to improve TMO but for now it will remain pretty much as is. I may add GT500 to the existing sections if it doesn’t look too busy.

With that said I’m working in updating the forum software soon. This is being driven by security and server efficiency. It will be the latest version of Zenforo so the functionality will not change (much). The latest version is even better on mobile devices. Look for a separate thread on this soon.

in addition I have a new section/addon I’m developing that most track rats are going to love. It’s going to take lots of programming so I need to wait until the software is updated. It will be something very unique to TMO. While the idea isn’t completely new the implementation will be. Stay tuned.

Oh and the monthly newsletter is coming back.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
With that said I’m working in updating the forum software soon. This is being driven by security and server efficiency. It will be the latest version of Zenforo so the functionality will not change (much). The latest version is even better on mobile devices. Look for a separate thread on this soon.
Immediate reaction - will being better on mobile devices come at the expense of laptop use?

Norm

In the V6L
One of the things to consider in how the forum is organized is "how will an uninformed, casual audience digest what they're reading"? I say that because this is the internet and it thrives on controversy and condemnation. Consider those of us who know the vehicles reasonably well and who've been on the forum for a while. When I see a new thread in the GT350 section about "I've got brake problems", I'm pretty sure that a GT owner has wandered into the GT350 section. Either the moderator will move the thread or the members will clarify it. But if you remove the differentiation between models, then people who are casual users or who are following web search results might see those "I've got brake problems" threads and conclude "all S550's including GT350's have crap brakes" and that becomes the narrative online.

I realize it's not your job to manage the public's view of the cars, but the online themes will show up at the track in lunchtime conversations and in other places - back in August a US Customs and Border Protection officer asked me, as I was crossing the border on my way to the track, if my rear bumper was falling off. News travels!

In the V6L
I think I understand your point but there is no specific GT350 only section.
Okay, so I should have said "when I see a post...in another forum's GT350 section" ;)

I guess my point really is that the regulars on this forum are sophisticated enough to know what they're reading and respond accordingly. Other folks just dropping by might not be able to interpret what they're seeing with the same clarity.

TMO covers all the bases...right now the new GT500 is gathering a lot of attention, since it's new to the playing field and "inquiring minds want to know". This site exploded to new heights when the Boss came out late in 2010 and has been a wealth of information and comradeship ever since...I wouldn't change a thing..............

Last edited:
So Randy Pobst loves the GT500.

No lap times in this review, but some good words and a short video.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-track-test-review

5 second difference between base and CFTP.

I presume most of that difference gets made up with swapping wheels / tires to lighter wheels / sport cup 2s, add handling pack, camber plates to the base.

Will be interesting to see what the aftermarket has for damper tuning and what Ford Performance does for springs for those base owners that want that dialed in performance for the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors