The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On the GT500 itself - how much electronic help is the handling getting, and what are the driver's options really like?

Does anybody else have a tendency to tap a shift paddle a second time if response to the first tap is slow in coming? I'd personally prefer a shift lever with a +/- gate if only to better help avoid running into this (whole arm movement necessarily taking more time than a finger tap, and momentarily having to one-hand the steering wheel has never felt like a problem before).

Norm

Based on my limited time behind the wheel on the road course in Vegas, no tapping required. It was always in the right gear.

DFW, TX
QUOTE="Surfergeek, post: 232271, member: 1412"]

5 second difference between base and CFTP.

[/QUOTE]

that's an eternity!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Randy must be serious, he rarely does in car commentary with a full face helmet. :eek:

I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel of one of these soon.

BTW Randy just purchased a Camaro SS 1LE for his DD.

On the track and especially coming out of corners, the car was in the right gear. There was no "downshifting" when getting on the throttle. There was no transmission related suspension "disruption" when going into or during cornering either, that I can recall.

I heard similar feedback about how good the DCT was talking to another person that had the opportunity to drive it. His words were it knew what gear you wanted to be in before you did and always was ready to go before you could think about making the change.

Excited to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up my 07 for $24K a few years ago, I was just cruising the auto trader sights and noted that the prices of those have jumped about $5K, I'm not sure if it's in response to the new release or not, but thanks.

Monaca Pa
That's the only thing I'm not liking about the new GT500...no manual.....old school is old school,,an old dog don't like no new tricks...even if they're better than the old tricks.....;)...My grandma could drive an auto if she was still around......and fly rings around you buzzards.........just kidding....:rolleyes:

You probably hated it when the 4 speed went to a 5 speed :D:D

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
You probably hated it when the 4 speed went to a 5 speed :D:D
I'm a pretty old dog too, and I could hardly wait for the 4-speed boxes to grow a 5th forward gear. Same way I couldn't get out of 3-on-the-tree configurations and into 4-on-the-floor's fast enough before that.

But I'm solidly with 302Bob on hating the idea of automation taking over tasks that I've always been at least reasonably good at doing. Part of the satisfaction I get from driving is knowing that I tried to do my best, whatever that might mean. Automated solutions rob you of much of that kind of satisfaction.

I get it if I was seriously competing for podium finishes in some racing series and needed a DCT to eke out tenths of a second here and there, or if I was into drag racing and needed hundredths, that I'd do what I had to do. Even then, it would be an active choice on my part to choose automation rather than somebody else's to not even give me the choice.

Norm

Last edited:
I was petrified when I saw that first Vette with a 6 spd!!!!!!!!...I was much more 4 spd friendly back then!But since having a 5 spd GT and my current Boss with the 6 spd, I would be bored with just a 4 banger..just goes to show, an old dog can learn new tricks..;)
Most of the DCT's have seven speeds and the new Porsche PDK has eight. BTW the Mustang has a 10 speed auto that you can shift manually so it's easy to get confused with which gear you're in.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
No doubt about it, the right automated solution can handle larger numbers of gears and tighter gear spacing better than our own carbon-based logic and mechanics ever could with a conventional H-based shift pattern.

I have a suspicion that average human ability to work with an H-based shift pattern starts dropping off once a fourth gate becomes necessary for the forward gears. More so if 7th was to actually be a gear that's actually useful for more than just lazy low rpm/high speed cruising.

Norm

I was petrified when I saw that first Vette with a 6 spd!!!!!!!!...I was much more 4 spd friendly back then!But since having a 5 spd GT and my current Boss with the 6 spd, I would be bored with just a 4 banger..just goes to show, an old dog can learn new tricks..;)

Having driven tractor trailers with 13 & 15 spd trannys, any manual with fewer gears is considered "easier".
As far as keeping tabs on what gear your in, its all about listening to the engine.
Gear selection becomes 2nd nature. Cars are no different.

Last edited:
That's the only thing I'm not liking about the new GT500...no manual.....old school is old school,,an old dog don't like no new tricks...even if they're better than the old tricks.....;)...My grandma could drive an auto if she was still around......and fly rings around you buzzards.........just kidding....:rolleyes:

Have you ever driven a Model T? They're manual everything. You can manually crank it to start. You can manually advance the spark. You can manually shift it. It's really engaging. But it's also s l o w.

TMO Supporting Vendors