The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Steering wheel on order.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I ordered a GT500 steering wheel to put on my boss. the right spoke on my boss wheel is scratched and you cant buy just the replacement spokes for the boss (I tried got one for a GT wrong color) and a new boss wheel is 240 plus shipping but the GT500 wheel is 162 plus shipping and I think it looks better. I will post pics once I get it installed. it will match my shift boot and parking brake boot that are also for a GT500.

Here is where I bought it in case anyone is interested. And no I am not selling the stock one I will be hanging onto it just like all the other stock parts I have taken off.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-mustang-steering-wheel-gt500-p-1231.html

CR3Z3600AB.jpg

Justin said:
I ordered a GT500 steering wheel to put on my boss. the right spoke on my boss wheel is scratched and you cant buy just the replacement spokes for the boss (I tried got one for a GT wrong color) and a new boss wheel is 240 plus shipping but the GT500 wheel is 162 plus shipping and I think it looks better. I will post pics once I get it installed. it will match my shift boot and parking brake boot that are also for a GT500.

Here is where I bought it in case anyone is interested. And no I am not selling the stock one I will be hanging onto it just like all the other stock parts I have taken off.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-mustang-steering-wheel-gt500-p-1231.html

CR3Z3600AB.jpg

Once you have it, post up how you like it please. I got the Grant leather "replacement" wheel for very cheap so that is what I am running now. Prefer leather to Alcantra for daily driving but have seen the GT500 wheels and do like the look.

Justin

Thanks guys. I am not selling the stock wheel like I said in the first post.

I will let you know how I like it when I give it a few test miles

I was actually just considering a different wheel myself and I have a question: is the GT500 (or Grant) wheel any thicker? I have always felt like the Boss wheel is a little too thin for my hands.

Justin

konablueeboss302 said:
I was actually just considering a different wheel myself and I have a question: is the GT500 (or Grant) wheel any thicker? I have always felt like the Boss wheel is a little too thin for my hands.
I dont know off hand. I will let you know when it arrives.

konablueeboss302 said:

My thoughts exactly! I would like a wheel with slightly less diameter as well.

Grant wheel is, from everything I can tell, the same diameter (and probably has to be to fit the stock wheel controls) but is a bit thicker and also has the "thumb rest" above the 9 and 3 position.

warning. Stay away from the grant wheel the quality is awful. feels like foam and the "leather" is just awful.

Jeff said:
warning. Stay away from the grant wheel the quality is awful. feels like foam and the "leather" is just awful.

Pretty much agree. Got mine brand new for $100 and figured I would give it a shot. The leather looks like it is 25,000 miles old even though it is only been on the car for about 7500 miles.

Justin

Well got home today and opened the box for the steering wheel.....its a boss wheel....they sent the wrong part number but thats ok as a boss wheel is 240 bucks. So I installed it and sold the old wheel to my friend two doors down for his base GT. Later on I will see about getting an actual GT500 wheel. For now I will just take advantage of their shipping mistake. :)

Bay Area
Justin said:
Well got home today and opened the box for the steering wheel.....its a boss wheel....they sent the wrong part number but thats ok as a boss wheel is 240 bucks. So I installed it and sold the old wheel to my friend two doors down for his base GT. Later on I will see about getting an actual GT500 wheel. For now I will just take advantage of their shipping mistake. :)

LUCKY!!

Justin

byronj said:
yeah thinking off ordering another one and seeing if they send me another boss wheel lol. We already put my old wheel in his gt and he texted me:
Took my car to get something to eat I actually love to drive it now. What a difference that steering wheel makes!

Justin

I order another wheel from them and this time I got the right one lol. Looks great!
529832_584289898270252_565611465_n.jpg

295338_584290108270231_1806208638_n.jpg

Not used to the leather feel yet but I really like the looks

looks awesome.

having my stock one leather wrapped, beefed up and custom stitched was the best money i've ever spent.

TMO Supporting Vendors