The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTech Pro data tagging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I also use the G-Tech Pro. Works good for me. Only issue is the screen is quite small and it is hard to focus on when at speed. I basically use it for the data afterwards. I also use Dashware to format the data to a video. Slighlty used gtechs come up on ebay once in a while for a decent price too.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
No, but you can use other software to overlay data that's logged with the GTech onto your video. It's not a comprehensive data logging & video solution all in one.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Is the main purpose for creation of a video for publication or are you looking to do in-home analysis of your recorded sessions (or both) ? I ask because the QStarz product does not appear to have a video export capability (as least based on what I see in the user manual [available online]). The TraqMate suite of tools has that ability ( http://store.traqmate.com/Traqstudio-Video-Download-p/890024.htm ).

I'm going to go out on a limb and think that either the GTech solution or the QStarz BT-Q1000EX-10HZ ( http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1000EX-10HZ-F.html ) plus the Dashware software is an easy and cost effective way to produce track videos with integrated data overlay. The BT-Q1000EX-10HZ is the less expensive of their products and has no graphical user interface, you just download and analyze your data after your runs.

Since the Dashware software is so inexpensive I may give it a shot to see how it works with my GTech data.

First off, sorry Big Red One for hijacking. I won't post anymore questions here. For me I want to do both, create some cool videos and to also see where the data is saying I need to work on. I would be really interested in hearing your review of Dashware. I guess for me I am leaning more towards the traqmate since it's an all in one.

Once you acquire your track data using the G-tech, you down load that data to the fanactic pass software available from g-techs website for free. Once the data is in the fanantic pass program, you then can see your laps and also turn that data into a CSV file (excel). Once data is in CSV format, it than can be overlayed onto a gopro video using the dashware program. There are some fields that have to be renamed on the CSV file once it is in the Dashware program, but in the end, it works great for me. Here is a video made with data from Gtech, gopro and the dashware program. If you look to the left, you can see the edge of the gtech affixed to my windshield. It is right inline with my forward vision, but as I said before, at speed, I cannot see the data on the small screen unless I really focus on it, which isn't really the safest thing to do at 100 mph + speeds!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHxiABK-dvA&feature=player_embedded
[/youtube]

PeteInCT said:
I'm downloading dash ware now. How difficult was it to sync the GPS data to the video?

Not too bad. At WGI, I have the gtech set to start at the start/finish line. I start my gopro as I leave the paddock. Once my car crosses the S/F line on the video for the 1st time, I can pretty much sync the start of the data at that point to the video.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Any hints on the data mapping on the CVS file ? Use of the Data Types editor seems cryptic, is there somewhere they tell you what the column names should be ??

you have to load a video in Dashware first, then import the CSV file using the data file add button. When I downloaded dashware, they did not have G-tech data profile listed, so I made a new profile. Once you open the add data file, you can use the edit profile button to make and edit a new profile (gtech). I sent you a PM.

Guys thanks for the input, the other systems that have been suggested, the Chinese one, im not going there, it looks poor and popr products normally means it will be badly supported, now the other one looks better but a l;ot more expensive.

I hadn't planned on using it for video overlays although i may well do that, my main reason for purchasing is to analize segments after a session to check that changes im making to camber or suspension are making any difference

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Most of this equipment is manufactured in China so I wouldn't let that throw you. FYI, the QStarz product is built well and works well. Some of the forum members use it, I've seen it demonstrated. The GTech system is made in China for Tesla electronics, and Tesla appears to have very few employees. It's somewhat of a delicate system and the way it implements micro SD cards is a bit of a pain, but it all works just the same.

All that said, the Traqmate system is more comprehensive, albeit at a price. And I bet a beer it's also manufactured in China also. ;D

The grand daddy of them all is the AIM system, if it's in your price range. This is a full pro implementation that you see in a lot of pro cars: http://www.aimsports.com/products/auto.html. There are a lot of options not only for data/video logging but also real time data displayed in the cockpit.

06mach1 said:
I also use the G-Tech Pro. Works good for me. Only issue is the screen is quite small and it is hard to focus on when at speed. I basically use it for the data afterwards. I also use Dashware to format the data to a video. Slighlty used gtechs come up on ebay once in a while for a decent price too.

I too purchased the g-tech pro unit.The display was so small that we could not read it. Returned the unit for full refund to summit. I think this would be a great unit simple to operate but the display is way to small.

Dont get me mixed up, ive no problem with goods made in China as long as they are a Western designed and QC'd product.

Heck our phones are all made there not to mention our gearbox's

So im not bitching about china, its just a lot of Chinese companies just look at other products on the market and push out a crap system with no r&D

So a unit thats manufactured in China but designed in the USA by people who understand racing/track days is what im after, im never going to be a racing driver so i dont need the full telemetry service and i cant fix anything to my windscreen with suckers so maybe a descret box with remote Ariel would be best

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The Hardware of both the QStarz and the GTech are decent consumer grade electronics. The analysis software of the QStarz is IMO better. If I had to do it again I'd go QStarz.

S

Happy Thanksgiving all! IMHO, if you are a cheap SOB like me, QStarz and Dashware is the way to go. Better stuff out there if you don't mind shelling out $$$$.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an70XnKbT2g&list=UUIPibw30bw-Vp0gyoKDYM4w&index=2&feature=plcp

TMO Supporting Vendors