The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

H-Pipe stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone have any tips on how to break the connection between the H-pipe and the header? Evidently I tightened the collector bolts too tight when I installed it and now I cannot separate them. To be clear, it's not the collector bolts, they are removed. It's the interference fit of the h-pipe to the header that is the issue. Heat didn't help.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Heat, use a torch and heat the outer pipe of the slip joint.

Good luck and post a pic if you can.
302 Hi Pro

PS: Use a block of wood with that hammer.

Kooks header and H-pipe. Only has about an hour of run time on them so its not corroded. Tried several different things and couldn't break it loose. Concerned about overstressing the headers, bending etc, during my attempt. Wound up bolting everything back together and left the collector clamp loose. I'm going to drive it like that for a bit to see if it loosens up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel