The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

H&R Race springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm starting this thread as another thread i had about springs went way off track. this thread is solely to post my experience with these springs. Not to sway anybody to them over other springs etc. So I appreciate nobody hijacking this thread going off on a tangent. Questioning why I'm doing it etc. The "proven" path is the 5300P springs and they work with stock struts which has been confirmed.

With that out of the way.

My setup, I'm running 18" wheels with A6 295/30's all the way around. The 30 profile tires with 18" wheels I think dropped the car stock an inch or more but I didn't measure. Keep that in mind when looking at the measurements below.

I called H&R and the advertised drop was 1.5 front and 1.4 rear. However, I was told that was the drop when used on a GT. It shouldn't be that much on the Boss.

Spring rates
Stock137lbs Front
191lbs rear

H&R Race'
325 Front
285 rear

Tonight I installed the back springs and the drop on my LS appears to be 1.5". I wasn't going after that much of a drop.

Here is a link to a photo bucket alblum with changes I'm making. I have pix of the measurements before lowering. Also, there is one pix of the driver rear side with the new springs.

http://photobucket.com/LSAutoxSetup

Update: Tonight I got the front springs in.

I recording all my settings in a spread sheet. Here's an image of it.

RideHeight.png

It was late when I was finished, but here's a side shot in the garage.

SideShot.jpg

Here's a pix of the front splitter clearance.
Splitter.jpg

Update - More Pix
I have several in available here.

http://www.photobucket.com/LSHRSprings

Left Front Angle Ride Height
HR_LeftFront.jpg

Left Saide Ride Height
HR_Left_Side_Close.jpg

Front Showing Camber (Again on an angle finder, a little past 3)
HR_Camber_Front.jpg

Transmission Cooler Front (Taken off now)
HT_Trans_Cooler.jpg

Trans Cooler Side Shot
HR_TransSide.jpg

Ramps need to load on the trailer now
TrailerRamps.jpg

Splitter Clearance (With rear Truck tires on ramps)
HR_TrailerSplitterClearance_Ramps.jpg

Body Clearance Trailer
HR_Trailer_Body_Clearance.jpg

You can post photos in your thread by clicking on the "IMG Code" in photobucket and copying it directly into your post.

IMG_0808.jpg

Thanks 5DOT. I know but it's late and i just wanted to get this started. When i get through with this install, I'll link pertinent pix. I just shared the folder for now until i get done with everything.

This pix is of the rear with the springs installed.

IMG_0811.jpg

Frosty, its great your trying something different. I always like to experiment myself. One note of caution I've found that dropping a Mustang and/or Boss more than 1" puts the car on the bumpstops early and often mainly in the rear. This tends to make for a snap loose condition. Have you verified the car is not setting on the bumpstops? When I converted my 07 GT/CS to Shelby GT specs with 5300K (1 1/2 drop) springs it was a problem. I put 1/4 spacer under the spring. That seem to fix the condition. Anyhow, very interested in how the car performs with such high spring rates.

Thanks Chris

Edit: Frosty, I've been autocrossing S197 Mustangs since 2007, my 07 GT/CS was loads of fun. I can't wait to here how the springs work. Currently I'm co-driving my friends 2010 GT in STX. Great class. Next year I may run the Boss in STX as well. I've ran S197s in FS and STX. ESP is a great class for the Boss. Enjoy!

Thanks Hack. I didn't set out to be a trend setter on this. Just several things that occurred over several weeks that led me down this path.

Just posted some data & pix in the first post.

Thanks, Frosty, for taking the time and trouble to post pics and measurements. This kind of info sharing is what makes this a great forum.

Frosty,
Thanks, great detailed data on an option many will/should also be considering.

Two questions:

Are these before and after numbers after switching wheels and tires so this is just the spring results?

If the front dropped less than the rear, how did rake increase? Seems to me it should have decreased the original tail high stance.

Thanks,
Mike

BossDuke said:
Are these before and after numbers after switching wheels and tires so this is just the spring results?

If the front dropped less than the rear, how did rake increase? Seems to me it should have decreased the original tail high stance.

Hey Mike,

If you go to the folder I had a link of I measured with my 18" wheels with Stock Springs. Then I measured after putting on the H&R race springs. The column to the far right in the spreadsheet is the Difference.

For me, to measure the rake, I measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the the outside of the fenders, that way, the rake went from 1.5 to .875.

Or the Ride height numbers I measured from the floor to the bottom of the outside of the fenders to the center point. Results were about the same.

I Tried to get pix of the Transmission cooler and how low it is now. I'm probably going to take it off for a couple of reasons. One I'm pretty sure it's not going in my trailer now.

2 I'd hate for something to catch it at speed.

Finally, I'm just using an angle finder on the rim but before the camber was just a shade under 3 and now it looks to be a shade over 3. That's not scientific nor am I sure how accurate it is, but I'm making note of it as the springs didn't appear to limit my camber adjustments any.

Finally got to do my first event yesterday. Competition runs were an adventure but had nothing to do with the springs. Took it easy the first run to get acclimated then an older mustang blew an engine shortly after and parts and oil were in first major right hand turn.

15 minutes later after kitty litter "err Oil dry", the corner was slick and took a couple more corners to get the "oil dry" off the tires.

Fun Runs finally started getting the hang of of everything. I think the biggest improvement was getting the right tire pressures and temps.

The only technical data I have to go off of is the Lat G meter showed a max of 1.35 g's on the right and 1.36 to the left.

Before the springs on this surface at an event I got 1.31 and 1.25 max readings respective. Course layouts were actually faster on the previous runs than yesterday.

Both days, it was overcast and temp in the high 80's.

Pix of the G meter.

Right
RightLatG.jpg

Left
LeftLatG.jpg

Here's the best run I had of the day.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqmoKg7dyk4[/youtube]

My first initial thoughts are I didn't have any of the inconsistent feeling I had when hard braking. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what tire pressures to run. More importantly going to an event without having changed the car the previous event.

GA
That is the first good view I have seen of the gauge pack with the gauges lit. I have been thinking about getting the performance computer gauge and putting it in a Roush vent gauge pod. Sometimes I think it is a little gimmicky to spend a few hundred dollars on though.

zzyzx

Steve
frosty -

How do your front LCA angles look at this ride height? Are they on the "wrong side" of parallel? What about your tie rods?

In your opinion, are the shocks handling the increase in spring rates? What settings are you using?

Thanks!

zzyzx said:
frosty -

How do your front LCA angles look at this ride height? Are they on the "wrong side" of parallel? What about your tie rods?

In your opinion, are the shocks handling the increase in spring rates? What settings are you using?

Thanks!

First I want to make it clear I'm experimenting and am not an expert here so these thoughts are just my opinion.

Yes, I did try to look at the LCA's and they look to me like parallel. You give me an idea of maybe trying to get a small level and try to see if i can tell for sure.

I think I read somewhere the negative effect of LCA's being the wrong angle was bump steer which I had none of.

If you watch the video the track is pretty flat but it does have dips that are more abrupt than they appear in the video.

Also, I ordered a Longacre Pyrometer today. I'll try to remember to post about my tire temperatures.

SVE or SVT?
[/quote]
They are SVE. Here is where I purchased them.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007FD/2005-13-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-18X10

TMO Supporting Vendors