The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

H&R TRIPLE C CAMBER ADJUSTMENT BOLTS / good choice for the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I searched the forum but did not find anything about this product, which a colleague of mine recommends, but he does not have even a Ford and therefore I wonder if anyone of you has any background or experience on this? The bolts are not expensive and seem easy to install and +/-3 is good enough for me and hence I am interested in this small mod.

Description of the product: http://www.hrsprings.com/products/triple-c/

Thanks for your feedback!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Eibach has a similar camber bolt. They work well. Only issue is setting camber. Can't get to the bolts with the wheel on...difficult to set camber with the wheel off. If you have a pro do the alignment, they have the equipment to do it properly.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm using the Eibach bolts. With the FRPP P springs, I can get a maximum of -2.5* and run them that way.

Just a side note...There are a lot of negative comments online about camber bolts. Most of it is just parroted by people who do not understand material science and fasteners in general, but heard about a guy who knew a guy who had issues with camber bolts. But that's just my unedjumacated opinion. ;)

zzyzx

Steve
I use the Ford OEM bolts. I suggest doing the same. This is not an area I would recommend saving your pennies on.

If you are very careful when you oval the hole, you can readily get both sides the same. A set of calipers helps. After installing mine, I have -2.7 deg. of camber and got them dead-on, making my subsequent trip to the alignment shop a waste of time, albeit reassuring.

Most camber bolts provide adjustment by using a smaller diameter bolt in a larger hole, with no positive stay to keep things in place other than the torque of the bolt against the strut flange and upright.

These are where all the "horror stories" come from because they do have a tendency to slip and I've seen this happen first hand.

This is not the case for the Ford OEM bolts, as the strut already has a permanently affixed stay that is unused in stock configuration that works with the cam lobes on the OEM camber bolt to yield positive positioning of the upright in the strut flange.

Still, the torque specs are very high and should be checked from time to time for slippage. It's best to mark it once finished so you can easily check for slippage later.

That is great to get that much feedback and tips in such short time, thanks! :D

@zzyzx, what is the part number of the Ford OEM bolts you propose to use? I tried google but did not get the details out. I would like to compare them to the one from H&R which have the following diameter/specifications for Mustangs:
16mm 41.5 - 48.0mm TC116

zzyzx

Steve
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2013/FORD/MUSTANG/BOSS%20302/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1503920&section=FRONT%20SUSPENSION&group=FRONT%20SUSPENSION&subgroup=SUSPENSION%20COMPONENTS&component=Lower%20cntrl%20arm%20adjust%20bolt

Part number: 4R3Z-3B236-AB

You'll need the right and left. Note that these are "kits" that also include the cam bolts for caster adjustment. Though I didn't install the caster bolts, I would highly recommend doing so - it's on my todo list.

The bolts are the same thickness as the OEM non-cam'd versions.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
zzyzx said:
Most camber bolts provide adjustment by using a smaller diameter bolt in a larger hole, with no positive stay to keep things in place other than the torque of the bolt against the strut flange and upright.

These are where all the "horror stories" come from because they do have a tendency to slip and I've seen this happen first hand.

That's not what I've found when I was researching camber bolts. The 'horror stories' are mostly from the old style Ford bolts with a coarse thread, and for the smaller diameter/lower torque spec of the smaller bolts, and from other user error like over-torquing and cross threading where the fastener fails.

I do not agree with the 'no positive stay' comment. There is a tab on the washer that opposes the eccentric lobe that would take up any load not transferred through the strut flange. And that's regardless of the amount of adjustment.

This is not the case for the Ford OEM bolts, as the strut already has a permanently affixed stay that is unused in stock configuration that works with the cam lobes on the OEM camber bolt to yield positive positioning of the upright in the strut flange.

Actually, this is the case with the Ford bolts if you make an adjustment that is less than the oval hole in the strut flange. Set yours to say -2.2 and tell me that's not true.

This fact and the need to oval the flange holes are the reasons why I'm not using the Ford bolts.

And just in case somebody else wants to comment on the smaller diameter fastener...a smaller diameter fastener of the same grade material can have more clamping force even with a lower torque spec IF it has a tighter pitch thread.

For $200.00 plus, I’d recommend spending the extra cash on camber plates. As for the Eibach bolts; I've found that most of the problems have been user induced. Usually when someone starts complaining a bolt failed the first question I ask is what type of Torque wrench did you use? Normal response, "I don't have one." By far the worst thing you can do a bolt is over torque it! I've had no issues with the Eibach kit for many years now.

The Ford kit is not a bad kit, its just pricey and for that price I prefer Camber Plates.

After looking a bit more into the topic I am almos sure to go with Vorshlag, although they are not cheap: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?products_id=274{6}602{5}605

After what HackBoss302 wrote I was looking at reviews for camber plates and Vorshlag has a lot of positive reviews and the higher prices seems to be justified, as the product is made of higher quality than others.

Has anyone those Vorshlag Camber Plates installed and if yes what is your experience?

Orange said:
After looking a bit more into the topic I am almos sure to go with Vorshlag, although they are not cheap: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?products_id=274{6}602{5}605

After what HackBoss302 wrote I was looking at reviews for camber plates and Vorshlag has a lot of positive reviews and the higher prices seems to be justified, as the product is made of higher quality than others.

Has anyone those Vorshlag Camber Plates installed and if yes what is your experience?

Orange, I like the Vorshlag plates the best. My friend has MM plates on his 2013 GT. They work well, but I don't like the fact that they reuse some factory parts from the bearing assy. Once I square up with the taxman on April 15th I will purchase Vorshlag plates, until then I'll be using the Eibach bolts.

TMO Supporting Vendors