The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Had Track Key Package Installed Today - Splitter Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after buying my new Laguna in February, I had my Track Key package installed today. I might have a little regret in regards to the splitter. I live in Los Angeles and there always seems to be a small hill pulling in and out of a lot of businesses, living complexes, and shopping centers. The splitter isn't much lower to the ground, but it does stick out quite a bit further. I've scraped it a few times already. I didn't think it would be as much of an issue as it is proving to be thus far. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it built to "take a bit of a beating from every day driving" or should I think about having it taken off? I love the look of it. I don't mind if there is some small scrape marks on the bottom lip of it. I just hope it's not easy to break and can cause more damage to the car..for instance, where its brace is attached to the bumper. I originally wasn't going to put it on. However, I have seen a few pics of cars with it on, and liked it. I've met a few Bosses on the street with it on. I also watched a 15min youtube video with Jay Leno on the 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. In the video, the Ford guy said it was high enough to not scrape..so it got me thinking it would be fine. Anyway, any thoughts from you guys that have it installed ..or had it installed are appreciated.

Nobody is ever going to see the scrapes on the bottom but it's up to you if you want to keep it on. I say run with it for a while and if it really bothers you then remove it.

Scraping on the bottom doesn't bother me. I'm just worried about possible structural damage to the bumper...like possible cracking where the brace attaches to the bumper. I would think it was made to take a beating (within reason)...but I've been wrong before.

Mine was on when I got it from my dealer, but I ended up taking it off after a few months because I was afraid of scraping it on things. I've been thinking about putting it back on though, since I also really like the looks of it and I don't remember it really being an issue most of the time, you just have to be careful. I believe you can get a slightly shorter one that might work better, but I'd have a hard time justifying the cost considering I already have the original.

RixterGT said:
Mine was on when I got it from my dealer, but I ended up taking it off after a few months because I was afraid of scraping it on things. I've been thinking about putting it back on though, since I also really like the looks of it and I don't remember it really being an issue most of the time, you just have to be careful. I believe you can get a slightly shorter one that might work better, but I'd have a hard time justifying the cost considering I already have the original.
There might be only one size for the 2013's but there was the LS and smaller World Challenge splitters for the 2012's.

I was warned about a few things...The splitter sticking out, excessive water entering the brake cooling ducts during a down poor on the highway, and the car being illegal to drive on the street with the red key in the ignition. During the Leno Youtube video, the Ford rep said "The red key is track use only" and Jay replied "Yeah, right". I think most people bought these cars to drive them...I think most drive them as daily drivers and some only on "Sunday drives" in perfect weather. I'm sure there are a few guys with deeper pockets that bought them only for track use and there are a very few that sit in the garage as part of a collection to never be driven. I think Ford even knows it would be a bit much to expect us to take all this stuff on & off as we may use it on a track from time to time. Selecting which key to use is easy, but I think it's more practical and reasonable to have the stuff on the car "ready to go" for when we do want to use the red key.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The splitter scraping won't hurt anything but the splitter. The bracket the downrods are attached to will bend long before there is any structural damage imparted to the bumper assembly, and the support rods will likely buckle before that plate bends.

Just make sure to enter/exit inclines at a diagonal whenever possible.

Water in the brake ducts...lol

The car is not illegal to drive on the street with the red key in.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^Good advice.

Scraping and flexing the splitter shouldn't be a big deal at stock ride height. Be smart about how you approach dips and bumps and you'll be fine. My GT is another half an inch lower than a stock Boss with P springs and the air dam is more than a full inch lower on the front under tray just behind the splitter. Plus I'm another ~3/4" lower due to 275/35/18s. My air dam scrapes a lot on V-curbs and speed bumps if I don't cross at a slight angle.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel