The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Half Technical, Half General and Half Racing Forum post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just got back from Sebring, it was a great day for some fun but freaking HOT. I never did find out the temp but after 6PM when I was leaving it was 95 (that is hot for FL, try it ;D). It was a full day, one car ran off the track in front of me, one overran an apex and left me a dust cloud and a SN95 when all the way around right in front of me - ending up eye to eye but no kissing (the HP+ work incredible on this car). There but for the grace of (the) Boss go I ;)

First couple of sessions I felt it would be better to sell the Boss to someone who could drive it - poor car. I would hit two or three turns nice then screw one up so bad I wanted to call it a day :( By the end of the day I felt like a mini Gary (OK not really :D )

Ran hard, the clutch pedal got stuck in what felt like the middle position going on the back straight, the car would move but had little power, just enough to get out of the way. Played with it a bit and it came back. I got a smell in the car during this but I not sure it was not the brake smell catching up since I slowed down at that point.

Ran the RPM's a lot higher today, temp mostly in the 230's but saw as high as 242. It would cool down quick when not on it hard.

Set off four codes P0300, 305, 306 and another 300. I wonder how much this has to do with hitting the rev limiter. I banged the crap out of that today. The first time on Sebring, I would hit it in fourth along the front stretch, this time I hit it in a lot of places. Ran over a few apex's too hard, stayed on the track but just barely at times.

Wore the tires a lot. need to check the brakes tomorrow, there may be some grooves up front.

With all that said my last sessions went well, I felt in tune with the Boss. Consistently ran 7 seconds better the my best last time out and one 8 second and one 9 second better. Give or take a second here as I am just going by my Gopro.

If this post does not make sense it is because I am tired and have heat stroke, will finish tomorrow.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Well no Emily and no me. A shame. But I got some painting done in the house which I had been putting off for awhile now. Glad you had fun down there without me Scott and just know I probably would have made you look good.

ufnavy06 said:
Well no Emily and no me. A shame. But I got some painting done in the house which I had been putting off for awhile now. Glad you had fun down there without me Scott and just know I probably would have made you look good.

The job of a FL meteorologist is to pick a number between 91 and 93 and put them on a five day forecast with alternating days of "scatter thunderstorms" and "isolated thunderstorms" They over thought this big bad hurricane, I was never worried 8)

2012YellowBoss said:
Set off four codes P0300, 305, 306 and another 300. I wonder how much this has to do with hitting the rev limiter. I banged the crap out of that today. The first time on Sebring, I would hit it in fourth along the front stretch, this time I hit it in a lot of places. Ran over a few apex's too hard, stayed on the track but just barely at times.
I believe this is the crankshaft position sensor reading the vibrations transmitting from your rear tires through the driveline into the crankshaft as a misfire. It's happening to you now that you're driving more aggressively and banging the rumble strips. I talked adam81 a few times this weekend who was down at Road Atlanta having the same issue. He switched off AdvanceTrac and said the limp mode issue went away but still threw the codes. Apparently, it must be exacerbated by AdvanceTrac. Hopefully this issue goes away with TracKey as I assume it's one of the 600 parameters that's adjusted in the tune.

Glad you had fun!!! Can't wait to see the video.

With the day that I had I wish I was there at the track, would have been a much cheaper day for sure!! Between my kid doing football (this crap is expensive), furnishing a new home, and school shopping..... EXPENSIVE!!! Luckily I sold a lot of the 2010 mustang GT stuff I had.

just have the OEM shocks / struts, Brembo wheels and SCT tuner to go!!

GA
Nice! I need to plan a Sebring trip next year. The Bullitts are planning a Route 66 trip next year ending in Chino Hills, CA, so I am hoping to go and get some track time out west somewhere.

Hi Scott,

I like those photos. How and where did you mount the camera? I assume it was your GoPro?

CIMG1891.jpg

This is how I ended the day, lots of lights CEL, TPM, Fuel and traction off, sport mode. Gary, you getting just the random or did you get any specific codes like the 305 and 306? I understand the crankshaft sensor problem but had the thought maybe it could have picked up the rev limiter since I bumped it quite a bit.

I forgot to mention I brought down the AVG MPG from 8.1 to 5.9, maybe I leaning?

Dan, that was my Gopro. I stuck one of the curved mounts to my (Boss :D) helmet. It really gives you a good idea what you are doing out there. There is a setting that lets you focus outside from an inside mount. I had that set but since my last session it must have reset and the picture is not great this time. It focused on the inside.

CIMG1873.jpg

cloud9 said:
I had one P0306, otherwise just P300. Rev limiter won't throw a code.

OK, that makes more sense to me now. I have only read about 0300 code and when I saw the 5 and 6 come up I thought it was a bit wierd. Good to know you have the same cylinder as one of mine.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
I had one P0306, otherwise just P300. Rev limiter won't throw a code.

OK, that makes more sense to me now. I have only read about 0300 code and when I saw the 5 and 6 come up I thought it was a bit wierd. Good to know you have the same cylinder as one of mine.
I see your fuel gauge is showing almost empty. With the saddle tanks in our cars, I'd recommend keeping the tank 1/2 full or higher on track. Some have had fuel starvation issues when running low on fuel. A buddy of mine in his Z06 Vette had similar issues last week at BIR. With the high g turns, you can make it difficult for the fuel pickups in our tanks. I'm not 100% sure of this issue, but I've seen enough people with problems to keep me running 3/4 tank or better before going out. The other issue is my fuel gauge never reads correctly at the track after all the sloshing. I've come into the pits several times showing 3/4 tank, only to restart the car getting ready to pull out for the next session and it shows 3/8 and I'm scrambling to dump a 5 gallon can into the tank. I've now gotten into the habit of running one session on a full tank, the next on approx 3/4, then after each subsequent session dumping in a 5 gal can.

That may have happened to me also because I did not mean to run that low. I went on full and after two runs we had a long break till after lunch, my group was first after lunch so it was over two hours between. I ran into town and filled up at a 93 pure gas station. After the next run I did a five gallon can, I should have after the forth run but spaced it. The sun may have burnt out the few remaining working cells up there. Plus the last two sessions I was burning a lot more gas as I settled in and the tires were really sticking. Good thing is I have had no issues and I have run low twice.

Great photo. Which tires were you running this weekend?

CIMG1873.jpg

Was on the Nitto NT05 265/35/18 and 295/35/18. I think the car will work much better on the 275/40/18 that I have coming. Remember all proceeds from disc sales go to my tire fund charity. I burnt them up pretty bad, mostly trying to do things like this. This BMW stayed out in front of me for almost two laps, I was killing the tires trying to stay on his ass looking for a opportunity to get around - was it worth it - yes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8w6j0yRRrE[/youtube]

Here is the SN95 going around

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgWAmrQvUsQ[/youtube]

Just a few laps

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO31Aq1D7p8[/youtube]

2012YellowBoss said:
Was on the Nitto NT05 265/35/18 and 295/35/18. I think the car will work much better on the 275/40/18 that I have coming. Remember all proceeds from disc sales go to my tire fund charity. I burnt them up pretty bad, mostly trying to do things like this. This BMW stayed out in front of me for almost two laps, I was killing the tires trying to stay on his ass looking for a opportunity to get around - was it worth it - yes
Nice videos. The NT05's are the tires I'd like to run on my stock 19's but they only come in 245 and 275 widths. I need to decide if that is a better choice than the 255 and 285 Hankook's. I don't think I'm going to do more than 3-4 track days a year but if I get the bug like you did I'll quickly go to 18's and run the 275 and 295 widths. I can't wait to get out there and look forward to the end of August.

Did you get your camber plates installed?

5 DOT 0 said:

No next week. I did not beat up the sides too much, this time it was the center that took the worst of it. I was actually running the pressure lower for the first three runs 38.5 so I add just a little bit after the third run. The after the forth I had to let air back out. I think after speaking with an experienced racer I will go down to 36 and see what it looks like. The center strip of each tire is worn down to the inside flat area on one side.

Miller is going to be good for me. I have had a few days to go out and drive the Boss for fun but if I keep doing it I need to do some things correctly. The main issue is shifting into gear before the turn rather then doing that in the middle or end of the turn. I had the back come out twice and it scares me or is it at least in the back of my mind and I don't shift correctly. At least I am shifting now, that is an improvement since the first few days I was hardly shifting at all except on the straights.

I need to just slow down some more when entering a turn. Even if I slow too much that is better then going faster and doing it wrong. If this car was not in such total control out there I would have hit many walls by now.

front

CIMG1909.png
CIMG1912.png
CIMG1913.png

Rears are better but still too much center wear.

CIMG1904.png
CIMG1905.png
CIMG1906.png

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
5 DOT 0 said:

No next week. I did not beat up the sides too much, this time it was the center that took the worst of it. I was actually running the pressure lower for the first three runs 38.5 so I add just a little bit after the third run. The after the forth I had to let air back out. I think after speaking with an experienced racer I will go down to 36 and see what it looks like. The center strip of each tire is worn down to the inside flat area on one side.

Miller is going to be good for me. I have had a few days to go out and drive the Boss for fun but if I keep doing it I need to do some things correctly. The main issue is shifting into gear before the turn rather then doing that in the middle or end of the turn. I had the back come out twice and it scares me or is it at least in the back of my mind and I don't shift correctly. At least I am shifting now, that is an improvement since the first few days I was hardly shifting at all except on the straights.

I need to just slow down some more when entering a turn. Even if I slow too much that is better then going faster and doing it wrong. If this car was not in such total control out there I would have hit many walls by now.

It takes practice to get the brake & shift sequence down. You always want to try to brake and shift in a straight line since doing so unsettles the car in a turn (which you have discovered). My advice is to slow down a little and concentrate on your technical execution and conisitency. Even if I don't get a Boss I would like to attend the school at MMP.

TMO Supporting Vendors