The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hankook R-S3 on closeout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would probably spring for a bit more and get a set of BFG Rivals. The Hankooks are cheaper, but depending on what you want to do ( say Autocross ) , you may find yourself running against Hoosiers as there are many new tire rules requiring the tire to be 200 or above for a tread rating. You will find yourself woefully behind it you have one stating it is at 140.

Frankly the main thing I did not like about the Hankooks, is they are not a great tire if it is cool -- you get a boatload of wheel hop just driving on the street. The tire works well if it is really warm out, but there are lots of times in the Midwest where the weather can change to rather cool conditions. If you live down South this may be a good tire for you. For those who want to track there are better alternatives in my mind.

Just my personal opinion , but the Hankooks are a bit too one dimensional for my tastes, but they are a solid tire on the track if it is warm - no argument there.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Absolutely agree they aren't best for cool/cold weather. I'm careful on them in the 30's and low 40's on track and would expect traction to be sketchy...yet I don't have a problem with hop. If there's a problem with hop then it's mainly an issue with suspension. A car should be able to break traction and not hop.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel