The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hankook R-S4 for HPDE Track Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking to get a dedicated set of track wheels for hpde events. For my Stock GT350.
Have you tried the Hankook R-S4 tires on track? How do they perform as far as traction/stickyness and longevity compared to Nito NT01 and Michelin SC2?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Not as sticky or as consistent throughout a session as NT01s but they are cheaper and last longer, so it depends on your priorities. Still a solid choice but you won't break any records. No experience with SC2s.
Check out Alessandro's post with lot's of different tires:

I love my RS4s, you'll get a half dozen, maybe more track days on them. They're compromise on dry grip and wet traction for longevity. Take about 2 laps to heat up and then hold pretty well, decently difficult to overheat. Good street manners, fine in the rain(not standing water) as long as you have some tread left, not loud on the road. Would definitely buy again.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The answer is in your title, RS4s for HPDEs , not asking about Time Trials, and therefore it is entirely an adequate tire. Once you get to contemplating Time Trials , or say go banzai all the way to full blown road racing, then this is not a circular black conveyance to remotely consider. But you are asking about doing HPDEs, and it has decent wear, pretty good for the street and weather ( read rain ) , and seems pretty consistent on the track. So, even decent for an autocross , occasionally, but you didn't ask that. If you decide on doing Time Trials ( which means your competitive nature is getting riled up and your blood is hot to whip up on others ) then it is time to look to serious sticky rubber stuffff !! So have fun and hang in there , and as you want to increase speed keep in mind the first step is not more horsepower, it is not aluminum control arms, it is not new shocks or an axle back exhaust, it is quite simply -------------------tires. For some reason, we as racers go after all the fun and splashy stuff when the real secret to quick speed arethe little air filled rubber conveniences that hold our beast off the ground.

Have fun and take the HPDE experiences for what they should be , an experience in speed and a lesson on how to go faster, with consistency while having the best time one can have besides , ............well , you know!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel