The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HANS Device Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I need a HANS device for my son. Does anyone have any advice? Currently looking at the Hans 3. Whats the deal with the quick latch? Is better or easier than the normal post anchors? How about the Simpson harness version, does anyone here use it or tried it? How about belts? We're probably going to go with 2" belts with a cam lock. Does HANS care if we use 2" or 3".

Thanks for any advice

We're moving up from the 4 cyl fwd mini stock to a Legend. Its half the weight but with similar hp and Hoosier tires instead of shaved street tires. He currently has a horse collar and now needs a HANS.

Out with old
sentra se-r.jpg

And in with the new
legend.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
There are alternatives to the Hans device out there, does the rules specify a Hans, or do you have some choices?
Also, don't forget, you'll need to mod the helmet if it didn't come Hans ready

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I currently use a HANS III with traditional sliding posts. No complaints. Recommend 2” belts as they fit the HANS much better.

This is what I plan on getting as of right now.

There are alternatives to the Hans device out there, does the rules specify a Hans, or do you have some choices?
Also, don't forget, you'll need to mod the helmet if it didn't come Hans ready

Its a newer helmet with nut built in, just need to add the post. The rules just say "approved head and neck restraint". Is there a list of approved devices?? Of course not. Typical crappy rule book. But I don't see a compelling reason to buy anything other than a HANS

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Just throwing this out there - works on 3-point seat belts or full harness, so also good for track days in street cars; FIA & SFI approved.

I did see that, thanks. The extra harness thing seems like its unnecessarily cumbersome compared to a HANS. Plus he's not doing track days, so there's no benefit for us there.

The only other option that seems interesting to me is the Necksgen because it does not have the tall structure behind the helmet. That part of the HANS seems like its not needed. He has a newer full containment seat and the Neckgen may fit the best and be the less intrusive.

Anyone have experience with this https://necksgen.com/head-and-neck-restraints/p4465-rev2-lite ?

I have a NecksGen Rev that I use for drag racing and I like it. It didn't take very long at all to get used to. I haven't worn any other head and neck restraint device to compare to. I can't comment on effectiveness in a crash because thankfully I haven't tested that aspect. The NecksGen can be ordered for 3" or 2" harnesses. I like that there are raised shoulders to keep the harnesses in place. It makes me feel a lot more secure when my shoulder harnesses are tightened down. The NecksGen also offers some lateral protection that the HANS does not offer. The NecksGen does allow some downward movement though. Since it doesn't extend downward over the chest, it can rotate on your shoulders. As far as I know, it isn't much of an issue because it still keeps your neck from extended in a collision, but it's something to consider. There are a few videos on YouTube that show this.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
HEY, you guys are supposed to help me narrow this down, not give me more options to consider!!

Just kidding. I'm liking the SHR. Seems like a better idea and design than the others.

Went to the track last night. The kids starting to get the feel for it. He's already down to within a few tenths of the top guys in about 40 laps total of practice.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks. The kids a driver. He had no interest at all until about age 15. Then in only his 3rd time at Veloce (fast, electric, indoor go-carts) he beat my best time. I remember the wife saying something like "oh crap, here we go again".

And that purple car was no cream puff when we bought it. Only about half of the dents and donuts are ours. But thats short track racing. Show no mercy and expect none. He's been driving the crap out of it. So it was time to move up. Plus, I'll actually do body work on the Legend to keep it looking good. The Sentra was already too far gone to worry about.

Here he is stuffing it in the middle, 3 wide around a lapped car. It didn't work out so well for the guy trying to follow him :)
And yes, we ran backwards sometimes. It was a track thing trying to keep the cars more stockish. It was interesting but also annoying at times.

MD
Have experience with the hans yoke style, necksgen, and hybrid s. Currently own a necksgen rev2 lite and hybrid s.

The hans yoke didn’t fit me well, 20* or 30*, so that was out.

The hybrid s works great for passenger seat stuff but seems too pricey for a harness only device.

The nexsgen rev2 is the least intrusive and most comfortable one IMO. If it was only for use in harness cars, that would be the one I’d choose.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks for all the advice guys. We went with the SHR Flex. It seemed like the best idea / design. After 1 practice day and one race day, he seems to like it and doesn't feel like its an obstruction or uncomfortable.

HEY, you guys are supposed to help me narrow this down, not give me more options to consider!!

Just kidding. I'm liking the SHR. Seems like a better idea and design than the others.

Went to the track last night. The kids starting to get the feel for it. He's already down to within a few tenths of the top guys in about 40 laps total of practice.

Prolly needs a good tire guy....

an oldie but a goody

U95xk61l.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors