The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HARD BRAKES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the double vented type.

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_137_1292&products_id=137&zenid=ffs2fhthat27kug126cmmdvvp1
TS-V-D1001_LRG.jpg

Do you retain the OEM SS Brembo plate when installing them or you just replace the SS OEM plate with those?
I noted that the OEM isn't covering the whole surface of both pistons, I would imagine it compensate for the rotor rotation (to even the pad wear). The Ti shims cover the whole surface. Would I see uneven pad wear with them only?
THX
Patrick

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I run the Ti shields on the front, and the OEM shields on the rear. Non-vented in both applications.

Cobalt XR1 in front, XR2 (or sometimes 4) in the rear.

I think the vents would help a bit. The thermal conductivity of air is 0.024, while the thermal conductivity of Ti alloy is 5.8+. So the less Ti you have contacting the surface of the pad the less it can conduct through to the pistons, IMO. But the reduction with those is so minimal I would just buy solid if it saved a buck or two.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
WinterSucks said:
I think the vents would help a bit. The thermal conductivity of air is 0.024, while the thermal conductivity of Ti alloy is 5.8+. So the less Ti you have contacting the surface of the pad the less it can conduct through to the pistons, IMO. But the reduction with those is so minimal I would just buy solid if it saved a buck or two.

Winter

Thanks for the education. No sarcasm, much appreciated. ;D

Brings up a second question. How would the air forced through the cooling ducts effect the equation? Vents offer a positive or negative benefit or be so minimal that I am wasting your time?? ;)

Sorry if I am wasting your time. Just curious. Thanks in advance!!

I think the effect will be pretty small, if you can even measure it reliably. The lower conductivity of the Ti is really the reason to use them over just allowing the pistons to directly contact the pads. Plus that area gets pretty dirty and a nice solid shim would be easier to clean. I was also wondering about why the stock shims do not contact the entire piston. That seemed odd. I don't think anyone running shims is using the OEM shims.

But this has me thinking of Justin's recent thread on polishing his rear calipers. I am wondering if polishing up the piston side face of the caliper would reflect enough radiant heat to make a difference in caliper temps. Hmm... might be worth trying when I install my SS lines since that is the easiest point to get them on a bench.

WinterSucks said:
I think the effect will be pretty small, if you can even measure it reliably. The lower conductivity of the Ti is really the reason to use them over just allowing the pistons to directly contact the pads. Plus that area gets pretty dirty and a nice solid shim would be easier to clean. I was also wondering about why the stock shims do not contact the entire piston. That seemed odd. I don't think anyone running shims is using the OEM shims.
That was my point.
Thx.

Could it be that I destroyed my hubs because of the Hard Brakes plates bringing the rotors to a higher temp and then transferring the added heat to the bearings in the hubs?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
patrickshelby said:
Could it be that I destroyed my hubs because of the Hard Brakes plates bringing the rotors to a higher temp and then transferring the added heat to the bearings in the hubs?

I would not think so. How much track time on the hubs? They should be considered a service item on any car with significant track time.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
I would not think so. How much track time on the hubs? They should be considered a service item on any car with significant track time.
Steve

+1, I'd find that failure mode very unlikely. I run the non-vented 0.5mm Ti shims on my car.

Patrick I think you just got a bad hub or hub set. Sucks, but it happens.

I have three track week-ends.
My Boss is still a very low mile car (less than 4000).
I have the LS brake ducts / I even removed the windshield washer reservoir and installed more rigid and smoother silicone ducts that do not kink or collapse.
I will keep my Hard Brake plates / Change my hubs and see from there.
I am sure ArizonaBoss is right.
Thx all!

TMO Supporting Vendors