The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Harness Crotch Belt Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So...when I purchased my race seat awhile ago I did not get one with the lap belt hold....so decided to make my own lap belt bar!

bar001_zps7c143569.png
Harness Lap Bar
bar004_zpsae713cb6.png
Harness Lap Bar
bar003_zpsa7c70eb2.png
Harness Lap Bar
bar002_zps39ca6fd6.png
Harness Lap Bar

Tested this at Barber and it worked quite well!

Re: Harness Lap Bar

Is this for a sub belt? If so, are you running the sub under the seat (so that you are sitting on it), or just over the front cusion? The former would be good, the latter would render the sub strap useless.

Tulsa, OK

cosm3os said:
Is this for a sub belt? If so, are you running the sub under the seat (so that you are sitting on it), or just over the front cusion? The former would be good, the latter would render the sub strap useless.

x2

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

I didn't want to chime in as a know it all but this is serious safety here, show us a pic on how you route the sub belts. Ideally the attachment point should be vertical or slightly behind your shoulder line. If attaching behind the seat having the belts under your ass and up between your legs is acceptable but not preferred. Belt wrapping up the front of the seat is not safe and can cause the lap belts to ride up and crush your internal organs in a crash.

Steve

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee

This is for the front sub belt, and the belt does go around the front of the seat, figured it was better than just leaving it off or hanging there.

I think this is a much better option. I'm surprised you didn't see it.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8192.0

OUkZXg.jpg

PRTxPP.png

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee

Are we talking about the same thing? I have 5 point harnesses, the shoulder harness attach to harness bar, the lap belts attach to the floor, and the single crotch belt attaches to the bar I made which is attached to front floor seat mount . Maybe I am not using the right terminology for that

j3st3r said:
Are we talking about the same thing? I have 5 point harnesses, the shoulder harness attach to harness bar, the lap belts attach to the floor, and the single crotch belt attaches to the bar I made which is attached to front floor seat mount . Maybe I am not using the right terminology for that

Yes, we are all talking about the same thing: sub belt, 5th/6th strap, crotch belt. NFSBOSS's solution is very good. The crotch belt MUST be mounted behind you. They way you have it with the bar in front is totally useless, other than to give you horribly swollen balls when they slam up against the strap (happened to a guy at Road America just a few months ago, not pretty).

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee

cosm3os said:
Yes, we are all talking about the same thing: sub belt, 5th/6th strap, crotch belt. NFSBOSS's solution is very good. The crotch belt MUST be mounted behind you. They way you have it with the bar in front is totally useless, other than to give you horribly swollen balls when they slam up against the strap (happened to a guy at Road America just a few months ago, not pretty).

Great information to know...I knew there was a reason I liked this forum better than most....but just so I am clear it is shown in that thread...

"...To be clear this is designed for six point only which requires a mounting point behind the groin...."

Looks like I just need to make my bar mount under the seat then

That bar NFSBOSS pic'd is perfect for our stock seats. Farther back the better. The key to safety is to control the pelvis. Basically, the lap and crotch belts make up a hammock or cradle for the pelvis to keep it from moving.

I'm no expert on this so take this with a grain of salt but I believe the five point is rarely used in road racing but is still used in drag racing. When I researched this last year there was no question I was going to use a six point. I have the Schroth Profi II and they are very comfortable where it counts. When it comes to safety do it right. My main motivation for adding the roll bar and harnesses was a Hans. I originally had a harness bar but it was obvious to me immediately that wasn't safe so now I have a roll bar. Many of us are going fast enough that we should take safety very seriously. Having the sub strap over the front of the seat where the seat will collapse doesn't look safe and doubtful any road racing organization will let you use that setup.

With your skills you could easily copy what Mike did or just buy a set from him.

Yes, go 6 pt. Again, we had a guy at Road America take a huge hit in the Kink. So hard, he broke his seat where the substrap passes through the whole. He was using a 5 pt and it was likely too loose to boot. His nuts got f'd up! Like had to go to the hospital f'd up.

Not to thread jack but I noticed OP mentioned he had a harness bar to go with the harnesses, isn't that also a huge no no when it comes to safety?

FWIW...

0IHe1jrl.jpg

To be fair to the OP , at one point in ti,me it was perfectly permissible to run your crotch belts that way, their only function was to keep you in the seat, but over the years they have evolved into keeping the lap belt in place (instead of being pulled up by the shoulder harnesses in an accident) so the current trend is to install the actual fastener closer to the center line of the lap belt. That and the fact that most race cars drivers are male, probably had something to do with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors