The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Harness Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I've read several posts here and on some other sites asking the question about installing a 5 point harness with the stock recaro seats. One post metnions a submarine belt insert for them. Does anyone have any info on this or have any of you installed anti sub belts on your cars? My only experience with a harness was at track attack, but they only had 4 points. Thanks!

Derek

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I installed the 6 point belts from Cooltech. They are a crow harness with 302 Boss on the knob and release taps.

Six point has sub straps which go to the sides. No need to cut the seat.

Several suppliers available

Regardless which system you go with, the clips from cool tech are a good set up. No drilling, good piece.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

TMSBOSS said:
I installed the 6 point belts from Cooltech. They are a crow harness with 302 Boss on the knob and release taps.

Six point has sub straps which go to the sides. No need to cut the seat.

Several suppliers available

Regardless which system you go with, the clips from cool tech are a good set up. No drilling, good piece.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

Ditto on the Crow Boss harnesses from Cooltech. Their clips make the install simple and are extremely well made.

Steve

I have the Schroth Profi II that Pete sells and my friend has the Cooltech/Crow harnesses and the difference in quality is very noticeable. The big difference is the latch and release mechanism. Both are safe though. You can use Cooltech and Schroth clips and mount your sub belt between the seat cushions.

NFSBOSS said:
I have the Schroth Profi II that Pete sells and my friend has the Cooltech/Crow harnesses and the difference in quality is very noticeable. The big difference is the latch and release mechanism. Both are safe though. You can use Cooltech and Schroth clips and mount your sub belt between the seat cushions.

Rick... are you saying that the Schroth is noticeably higher quality than the Cooltech/Crow, or the other way around? The Schroth Profil harness is almost $150 more, so it should be. I also understand you want 2" wide shoulder straps for HANS-compatibity, which the Schroth is, but the Crow is 3" wide.

You can safely use two inch Hans shoulder belts without a Hans device. When I ordered my Schroth belts through Pete / Trackday Solutions, we discussed this with HMS who makes the Schroth belts for the US and they assured us it was fine.

I use the Cool Tech clips to mount my six point harness.

Steve

2012-Boss said:
You can safely use two inch Hans shoulder belts without a Hans device. When I ordered my Schroth belts through Pete / Trackday Solutions, we discussed this with HMS who makes the Schroth belts for the US and they assured us it was fine.

Steve

Absolutely. I was just clarifying that 3 inch are fine too. Some folks may think 2 inch are better for safety cause they fit the HANS better, but there shouldn't be a difference.

Michael, I haven't heard that, but there better be a grandfather for us who have new harnesses in their cars!

2012-Boss said:

Steve

+1 on the Cool Tech clips!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
They are a quality piece for sure. I added Schroth clips pointed to the inside of the seat and that's where I mount my sub belts. The bolts that come with the Cooltech clips are plenty long enough to mount both plus it make it easier to install and remove the belts having one attachment per clip.

Rick question for you, to install the lap belt on the recaro's do you have to remove the seat? Looking at the part attached the seat up against the center console I don't see how t get to it otherwise

I got the Schroth belts (6 point) with Pete's help. Cooltech clips can be fitted with the Recaros moved to to forward position - no need to remove the seat. I have the 2" shoulder belt with Hans for driver and 3" for passenger. The 2" belt works great. If you use the 3" you may want to add shoulder pads.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Black Boss said:
I got the Schroth belts (6 point) with Pete's help. Cooltech clips can be fitted with the Recaros moved to to forward position - no need to remove the seat. I have the 2" shoulder belt with Hans for driver and 3" for passenger. The 2" belt works great. If you use the 3" you may want to add shoulder pads.

That's good to know, emailed Pete. So just so I'm clear both the lap belt and the sub belts are attached using the clips?

I currently use the clips to mount both the lap and sub belts. However, you could also purchase additional clips from Schroth to tailer the installation to you liking such as using the factory mounting points for the lap belt.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Tucson302 said:
That's good to know, emailed Pete. So just so I'm clear both the lap belt and the sub belts are attached using the clips?

There are two methods to mount on Schroth belts:

Bolt in: http://www.schrothracing.com/competition/hardware/bolt-in-hardware
Or Quick clips: http://www.schrothracing.com/competition/hardware/snap-in-hardware

The Cooltech 'clips' are actually mount points for clips at the rear base of the seat. The B23A Schroth End fitting kit can be used in place of the Cooltech 'clips' for the rear base of the seat and can also be used for lap belt clips on the left and right sides.

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors