The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Harness Lap Belt Mounting Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased the sub belt mounting bracket from 06Mach1 and the Cooltech harness clips, forgetting that they both bolt to the same stud. Found out tonight that the stud is not long enough for both. I have decided that if one has to go it will be the Cooltech clips. Unless anyone knows of a solution that lets me use both? I really didn't want to drill holes in the chassis to mount eye bolts but it is looking like that's what I am going to have to do.

Doc, you can use both the harness bar and the cooltech clips together but you need to replace the stud with bolts. Please read post #5 in the link below. Do not use the studs with the harness bar or clips as they are not strong enough.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8192.25

OK I read the other posts.....thank you. I feel stupid asking this but I don't understand how you can use a bolt in place of the stud. Isn't the stud welded to the chassis? How do you use a bolt to secure everything? What am I missing?

Doc, I just did this recently and was going to post a how to, but never did. Anyway, don't worry about removint the studs, they come out very easily. You'll need to get an E-8 sockets [reverse torx socket it is either E8 or maybe E7, I'm at work, but could check when I get home] and this engages the end of the stud which screws out counter clockwise with relatively low torque. Then get a good M10 X 1.5 flange head bolt like the ones Mike recomended.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11127086?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=
In my case I used M10 X 1.5 eyebols since I didn't have the Cool Tech clips, but I guess the 30 mm length suggested by Mike works with the Cool Tech clips.

Like I said, I just did this recently, and removing the studs was much easier than I thought. Post a reply or send me a PM if you prefer if you have any questions.

Hermes......you are the man! I never knew that stud was screwed in. Wow....what a relief. Thanks for that info.....I will get what I need after work and finish this project. Thanks again BMO!

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
The studs unscrew with i think a 1/4" socket. Those bolts from Fastenal work perfectly.

If you have a store local to you, they get to the store faster than via shipping due to almost daily deliveries.

Rare, but might even stock them.

Cooltech clip come with M10x30. They are a flange bolt so no need of washer.

Also make sure the bolts you buy are 10.9 or higher (similar to grade 8 ). It's usually stamped on top of the bolt.
8.8 (similar to grade 5) are not good enough.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel