The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Harry's Lap Timer and iPhone 7 -- jerky video

I just switched from iPhone 5 to 7 and now the video is very jerky. I am using the same Ram mount as before. Harry's compatibility page says iPhone 4S is the best for video. But... surely there is some setting or other work-around that will produce better video than this:
https://youtu.be/l3iRpHv1vPQ

Thanks.
Jim
 
It's called "Jello effect"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

I had the same problem and I installed this kind of stuff between the mount and the Iphone.
http://www.helipal.com/lp-0064-jello-killer-vibration-free-camera-mount-base.html?osCsid=6bbflq0t426jsoodfnl3p8hkb3

It helped a lot but didn't cure it 100%. I'm pretty happy so far.

Here's link to my youtube video where you can see the difference. The older ones a very shaky like yours and the newer ones are much better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2sKNbVcekKlPJxcdWxFxw
 
5,762
6,899
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I noticed that my iPhone 7 video is way shaky too.
I didn't have that with my iPhone 6. I always got great video.
I'm using TrackAddict and there is a setting in there that will stabilize the video I found at the end of the last track day. Maybe your app has a similar feature.
 
838
466
Swiss Boss said:
It's called "Jello effect"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

I had the same problem and I installed this kind of stuff between the mount and the Iphone.
http://www.helipal.com/lp-0064-jello-killer-vibration-free-camera-mount-base.html?osCsid=6bbflq0t426jsoodfnl3p8hkb3

It helped a lot but didn't cure it 100%. I'm pretty happy so far.

Here's link to my youtube video where you can see the difference. The older ones a very shaky like yours and the newer ones are much better.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2sKNbVcekKlPJxcdWxFxw

Would you post up a few pictures of how this is used to mount an iPhone? I have the same problem with my iPhone 7.
 
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I just switched from iPhone 5 to 7 and now the video is very jerky. I am using the same Ram mount as before.
Thanks.
Jim

Which RAM mount end are you using? X-Brace or one that fits the iPhone7?

The X-Brace is much more prone to vibration, according to Harry.
 
2012-Boss said:
Would you post up a few pictures of how this is used to mount an iPhone? I have the same problem with my iPhone 7.

IMG_1980_zpsj8xwe8pg.jpg

I use a "Tough Claw" from Ram mount to fixed to the roll bar then an articulate arm with a round plate
Then the "Jello Killer" plate. Here's a cheap one from amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHGR4FQ?psc=1
Then I use a RetiCam to hold the phone http://reticam.com/product/smartphone-tripod-mount-standard.php
 
5,762
6,899
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm on an X brace....always worked perfect till I got my new phone.
 
Thanks all!
I am using the X brace mount with suction cup to the windshield. Will check out the other ram mount for iPhone 7.
Harry's doesn't have any stabilization setting that I can find. If the other ram mount doesn't work, I will try track addict.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top