The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Harry's Lap Timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Ok, I picked one up…Does $120 sound about right on the price?

Also, is anyone using their iPhone to record the video? I have an iPhone 5 and it shoots HD video

Adam

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Flyboygsxr said:
Ok, I picked one up…Does $120 sound about right on the price?

Also, is anyone using their iPhone to record the video? I have an iPhone 5 and it shoots HD video

Adam

Sounds about right on price. I paid $99 2 years ago.

I've been using my iPhone 4s for all video. Comes out great. Search mustanggtinct on YouTube for Watkins Glen or Thompson and a couple of my videos should come up if you want a free for the quality. Note I record in 720 quality not 1080 to save space on my phone.

DMichaels said:
I also use this. Have had it 2 seasons with great success.

borat_great_success.jpg

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Flyboygsxr said:
With the OBD II can you see oil temps? Aside from throttle position and RPM what additional data can you pull from the OBD?

I do not get oil temps. I do get:
coolant temps
rpm
gear
fuel level
throttle position
MAF
intake temp
ambient temp

A couple others too that I can't think of at the moment

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
You also get speed from OBDII. It seems more accurate than the speed Harry computes from gps.

Yes, agree. The OBDII refreshes at 5Hz, vs the iphone internal GPS refresh rate of 1Hz... much more accurate speed.

I also just purchased Harry's lap timer for android, also grabbed a Qstar bluetooth GPS receiver which has a 5-10Hz frequency range. Hoping to try it out on Nov. 7th at Summit Point.

I looked into the OBDII adapter and they're a little pricey. Might wait on the OBDII and race render software until next season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Swiss Boss said:
You have to put the phone in landscape mode then you get the video button appear

That's what I was looking for…It took me a while to figure it out because my auto rotate function turned off when I installed the iOS 8 update. That was a pain in the ass.

On another note…I figured out how to record the video and ass it's recording I can see the data overlaid on the video but when I play it back it's not there?

I don't know then.

I just tried a manual video and works fine for me.

The way I did it:
Go to video mode
Manually start video by pressing the record button on the top left.
Move your phone for a few seconds
stop the video.
You should have a new lap in your lap list at the bottom of the screen.
Select that lap to review it
Below the video (left side) there is an "overlay" case. Press it
It bring the screen for the overlay configuration.
hit the red overlay button
The phone process the data and come back to the lap review.
Now the Type below the video should say "Overlaid video" and if you hit play it should start the video with the overlay.

Hope that's help

TMO Supporting Vendors