The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has Anyone Thrown a P0022 or P0131 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got them both over the weekend the 22 came on at 6700 but did not leave a hard fault. The 131 was cleared but came back again and now I will need to leave it with them.

P0022 INTAKE "A" CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING - OVER RETARDED (bank 2)
P0131 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE (bank 1, sensor 1)

2012YellowBoss said:
Got them both over the weekend the 22 came on at 6700 but did not leave a hard fault. The 131 was cleared but came back again and now I will need to leave it with them.

P0022 INTAKE "A" CAMSHAFT POSITION TIMING - OVER RETARDED (bank 2)
P0131 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE (bank 1, sensor 1)
one of the many codes I got when I had the bad engine wiring harness were camshaft position timing codes. A new wiring harness under warranty took care of my problem to date.

Got my Boss back today, new sensor installed for the P0131 code. Nothing on the P0022 code, I'm not too worried unless it happens again.

I now need to bring it back in for the "Advancetrac" problem. It happened again where all the electronics in the car shut off and everything reset. Same as the first time the engine stayed running and it was off-track running at slow speed. Ford wants to start with looking into the dash cluster first, if they find anything I will post about it.

jec246

If it is the cluster just tell them they can replace it with a 2013 model cluster. :p I'm sure they would go for that.. ::) Right? hehe ;D

mainemustang said:
I also have the P0022.

Is this common?

Not common but it has happened to a few, including the GT's. Most likely it is the wiring that is bad not the sensor. This is what I was told by someone in the know and it turned out to be the case. The code returned for me after writing this thread and it has been taken care of. If this is the same for you it will be the wiring on the left side under the airbox. It is a big job to replace the wiring but something your dealer should be able to handle no problem.

2012YellowBoss said:
mainemustang said:
I also have the P0022.

Is this common?

Not common but it has happened to a few, including the GT's. Most likely it is the wiring that is bad not the sensor. This is what I was told by someone in the know and it turned out to be the case. The code returned for me after writing this thread and it has been taken care of. If this is the same for you it will be the wiring on the left side under the airbox. It is a big job to replace the wiring but something your dealer should be able to handle no problem.
I got the P0022 tonight. I cleared it and it didn't come back on during the drive home. Did yours reappear right away? Just wondering if I need to get it in to the dealer.

cloud9 said:
I got the P0022 tonight. I cleared it and it didn't come back on during the drive home. Did yours reappear right away? Just wondering if I need to get it in to the dealer.

Man, one thing I have found with the Boss is that once it throws a code it always reappears again. Right away? maybe not but within a week or so. Same with the P0131 and the 0020/0022. Each time I let the dealer know about them and we did nothing, then the second time corrective action was taken. Your 0022 code may be the wiring like mine had, not the sensor since they rarely go bad.

I assume if it goes off the PCM backs off since it can't accurately detect camshaft position? I don't want it going off at RA in two weeks. Hopefully it will kick it off again in the next couple days if there is an issue so I can get it fixed.

cloud9 said:
I assume if it goes off the PCM backs off since it can't accurately detect camshaft position? I don't want it going off at RA in two weeks. Hopefully it will kick it off again in the next couple days if there is an issue so I can get it fixed.

I am surprised you set it off on the street, mine set off at high speed and high RPM. I set mine off at the track and it did not return until the next track event. I do not know exactly what it detects, sorry. I know you have a good dealer, why not let them pull the code and decide what to do? Like I said if it went off once, it will happen again.

Actually I threw it staring the car in the garage. I asked my dealer about it today and he's going to ask his lead mechanic about it on Monday. I haven't gotten it again.....yet.

cloud9 said:
Actually I threw it staring the car in the garage. I asked my dealer about it today and he's going to ask his lead mechanic about it on Monday. I haven't gotten it again.....yet.

Take a look at the wiring going into the sensors, see if they are stretched or not taped up. Don't mess with them too much as I am told they are very sensitive
1Leftsidebefore.png

steveespo said:
I had an 0131 when I did my headers, turned out the o2 connector wasn't fully clicked in. Fixed it and hasn't been back. Check right side front o2 harness, it's a biznitch up top of the bell housing.
Steve

It was a bad O2 sensor and not the wiring in my case.

Did a scan tonight and you were right Scott, the P0022 code came back. No CEL yet, but it's going to the dealer in the morning :mad: PITA. Hopefully they find it quickly.

cloud9 said:
Did a scan tonight and you were right Scott, the P0022 code came back. No CEL yet, but it's going to the dealer in the morning :mad: PITA. Hopefully they find it quickly.

Just going by what my car has done. BTW it is not a quick fix :( unless the sensor is bad but that is unlikely.

CaliMR said:
2012, mine has tape but is is mostly unraveled so I cut it off. Maybe I should retape it.

I wish you hadn't done that, I am told these wires are SUPER sensitive. Anyway yes the tape is there for a reason and is needed, not going to tell you to re-do it but if you do be very careful not to pull, twist (etc.) the wires.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:

Just going by what my car has done. BTW it is not a quick fix :( unless the sensor is bad but that is unlikely.

They ordered new VCT solenoids (variable cam timing). Hopefully that's the issue.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:

Scott - A BIG THANK YOU FOR PASSING ON THE INFO AND POINTING US IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Here's the email from my dealer this afternoon:

"He got in in this a.m. and checked the wiring, found a broken pin for the issue in the connect for the VCT solenoid!!! He replaced the pin, and he put a bit of silicone to hold that wire in place better- At times it would not get signal depending on whether the pin had contact of was in the broken position... hE did say there is no updated harness or connectors at this point, hopefully they will release something....Thanks again for the info, it is obviously better info than we can get, isnt that crazy?"

The Hotline told them to order the solenoids. Had you not shared the info about it most likely being the wiring, we would have chased this for a while. I am hoping this will get logged at Ford so the next guy has the benefit of this information. I told my SM that I understand their predicament, and they can only work with the info they have available to them from the Hotline. With the Boss having such a small build #, many dealers won't even ever see one. This highlights the value of this forum and our ability to share information.

TMO Supporting Vendors