The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has anyone used RaceCapture or any other CAN-bus data loggers with 2020+ mustang?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
The CAN network changed (I think) for the 2020 model. If anyone has had luck, did you have to splice the CAN bus or is everything accessible through the OBD connecter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I have the RaceCapture Track Mk3 that I use on my 2017. Just OBD 2 port and I get all the info. There is a preset available for our cars to also get coolant temps, brake pressure and steering angle.

72C15384-D3C1-46BD-A521-32EF1195861E.jpeg
Edit to add: just saw that you asked about 2020+ specifically. That I’m not sure. My apologies for not reading thoroughly

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
the OBD2 connector should still work for a can bridge - when you splice in on most fords, its into basically the same wires.

I hadn't touched any 2019+ cars with RC, but even if the older S550 preset doesn't work, its not terrible if you have a helper to do some CAN sniffing to reverse engineer wheel speeds, steering position, TPS and maybe brake pressure: https://www.autosportlabs.com/rever...tle-position-brake-pressure-and-wheel-speeds/

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lubbock
the OBD2 connector should still work for a can bridge - when you splice in on most fords, its into basically the same wires.

I hadn't touched any 2019+ cars with RC, but even if the older S550 preset doesn't work, its not terrible if you have a helper to do some CAN sniffing to reverse engineer wheel speeds, steering position, TPS and maybe brake pressure: https://www.autosportlabs.com/rever...tle-position-brake-pressure-and-wheel-speeds/
Yeah the problem is the old cars has HSCAN 1 and HSCAN 2 read through the 14 and 6 pins. Then had MSCAN on 3 and 11. Now HSCAN 1 is on diag 1 (14,6) and HSCAN 2,3,4 and MSCAN are on diag 2 (11,3). Connecting to both busses is fine, just messy. Do any of those CANcrocodile things (contactless CAN connectors) function with the mk3 RaceCapture?

*edit: ABS module with steering, brake pressure, wheel speed, etc is on HSCAN 2 btw

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I would hop on their forums and see about the can croc setup - I've never seen that before and certainly an interesting approach.

I'm on an old S197, thus my life's easy, just in on 14/6 and using the bridge built into the OEM cluster if I want to sniff around the MS bus (which on S197 all the interesting stuff is on HS-CAN). S550 is a bit more complex since there's at least 3 variations - much is still on HS1, but with some of the newer cars some of the modules have moved their way to HS2-4. S650 adds encryption into the mix for some data streams - I can't imagine how that's going to work for those cars.

I guess one thing would be to see how much of what data you want is on HS1 before spending a ton of time trying to connect to the other busses.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel