The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has anyone used this oil cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monaca Pa

Never mind I bought it…

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Never mind I bought it…
let us know how it works out.

The Mishimoto filter adapter does not fit well at the o-ring mounting surface to the block adapter. The sizing is slightly off an it causes damage to the o-ring / gasket over time. Also, the cooler is not going to be big enough if you remove the Ford water to oil cooler (which actually works really well despite what you read on this site or others).

With size of the Mishimoto cooler, I would run it in conjunction with the OEM water to oil cooler. That type of small air to oil and OEM cooler combo has worked well on a number of other cars I have installed coolers on in the past.

If you want to eliminate the OEM water to oil cooler, you need something the size of a Setrab 948 or 960.

Monaca Pa
Also, the cooler is not going to be big enough if you remove the Ford water to oil cooler (which actually works really well despite what you read on this site or others)
2012-Boss
A friend of mine who built race engines back in the day most of them on Whelen modifies and had a SK mod said they tried the Ford water to oil cooler on their cars. He said they were useless.
I do have a Setrab sandwich plate that I bought from thelostotter .

2288A085-4EBE-42B3-A6A2-1BD35A7DB53C.jpeg

The OEM water to oil cooler is marginal by itself. But, so are small air to oil coolers. Combined together, they work well. That is from practical, hands on experience installing and driving S550 and S197 cars on track. Expect your oil temps to be in the 300 degree range if you push your car hard with just the Mishimoto cooler. If you keep the OEM cooler, you might run 270 - 280. If you want cooler temps than that, you need to jump up to a 948 or larger.

Monaca Pa
I’m hoping with going from 8qt gen2 oil pan to the GT500 12 qt pan should reduce temps. I only do track nights once a month. If I have to I will go bigger. I’m running out of money building my new engine and up grading every thing associated. Kooks headers , Ben Calimer stage 2 trans etc I’m will be up to $15000. Trans cooler project is under way.

I’m hoping with going from 8qt gen2 oil pan to the GT500 12 qt pan should reduce temps. I only do track nights once a month. If I have to I will go bigger. I’m running out of money building my new engine and up grading every thing associated. Kooks headers , Ben Calimer stage 2 trans etc I’m will be up to $15000. Trans cooler project is under way.
I get it. Try to keep the water to oil cooler with the new air to oil if everything will fit. It will help to reduce oil temps (but at the cost of slightly higher coolant temps). I am helping put together a number of motors this winter with friends and they are going to run anywhere from about $9k - $15k depending on the build. It adds up quick.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It’s got to be better than the one on my car from Ford lol
Don’t be too certain about that. It’s main advantage is adding surface area that cools via air. But if you plan to run it stand alone and take off the stock cooler it’s not enough. Either run the two in series, or return/sell this one and get a bigger unit.

The OEM cooler works well when it needs to. And that’s when oil temps are significantly higher than coolant temps. Like a delta of 30° F or more, and it’ll cool more/better than that Mishimoto.

TMO Supporting Vendors