The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hauling Ass then Idle only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just left CMP and had the strangest thing happen. First session, car is runningi fantastic then out of the blue it goes into an idle only mode. Let it cool down, starts up and runs fine. Go top up with gas and go out for second session, again car runs great and after a few laps goes into an idle only mode but this time it’s a very rough missing idle. Using the gas pedal does nothing. Loaded up and went home. Haven’t scanned for any codes yet, but wondering if anybody has ever experienced something like this?

Yes, knew that,went to get my scanner and remembered I let someone “borrow “ it. Was just asking if someone ever experienced the same thing. I’ll buy a new scanner this morning to pull codes, I’m thinking TPS right now

US
Yes- I have experienced it and it was random misfires and it was just in limp mode. Mine was the Crank position sensor. it appears it was changed as it had a rubber oring, but i doubt it was flashed properly. I put in a new one and had ford program it, and no more misfires at all and definitely no limp mode BS. It could happen for many reasons, plugs, coils, CPS, bad gas, low octane, noise coming thru the block simulating knock etc. Hopefully codes will get you started in the right direction.

Well, got my scanner back and looked at the codes it threw,YIKES☠️ Gonna need some help here
Codes P2104,P2107,P2110,P2100. Chassis,Mechanical I’m pretty strong, but as an official old fart member I get a little challenged with newer electronics. Has anyone ran across this group of codes together. My uneducated guess is leaning towards a throttle position sensor or entire throttle body.
Certainly open to any suggestions on where to start.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Punch those codes into google and let us know what comes out :)

Edit: Sounds like your throttle body is toast or your Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is. Or you have some wiring to either of those units that has been damaged.

Well I actually googled it as soon as I read the codes. Got a lot of responses like yours, no clear consensus. Changed out accelerator pedal unit from one shop’s expert opinion and ran fine til the next track event. Throttle body looked fine,in fact very clean, was headed for the Throttle Position Sensor next but Summit sent the wrong one. Checked wiring and everything looks good. Guess I’ll just wait for Summit to send the correct TPS and see what happens.

Well hopefully at the end the saga, took the car to Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, found the wire connector to the Throttle Body was shorting out sending spaz signals to the computer. Bad news, it cost me 2 Track days after paying a shop in Martinsville to fix the problem. Good news, got an epic Dyno tune from Dan. Now on to Watkins Glen.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel