The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hauling E85 to the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
Hi all,

I'm planning to set my car up to run on E85 and would love to use it at the track, but many tracks don't have E85 available nearby. To haul E85 to the track, it appears I have two options:

1. Two 55 gallon drums (blue plastic) and a pump
  2. Transfer tank with 12v pump

Is anybody doing either of these? Drums appear to be a much less expensive solution. It appears that I don't need CDL or Hazmat placard if I stay under 110 gal (1000#). With the transfer tank, it looks like the manufacturer has to supply documentation.

Am I missing anything?

Chip

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Fresno, ca
20 - 50 more HP and runs cooler.

Thanks for the reply! 20-50 at the wheels? Cooling the intake temps is the main reason one of my other cars is running on e85. But is all that really worth the trouble of finding ways to transport it to the track?
I find it really difficult to obtain, safely transport, and pump that much fuel at the race track (other car goes through 5gal per 20min session). I only do it with my other car because I net an extra 100whp. Not so sure I'd do it all again for 20-50whp.
Then again, I'm getting older/lazier these days (why I went from other car to this one).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Thanks for the reply! 20-50 at the wheels? Cooling the intake temps is the main reason one of my other cars is running on e85. But is all that really worth the trouble of finding ways to transport it to the track?
I find it really difficult to obtain, safely transport, and pump that much fuel at the race track (other car goes through 5gal per 20min session). I only do it with my other car because I net an extra 100whp. Not so sure I'd do it all again for 20-50whp.
Then again, I'm getting older/lazier these days (why I went from other car to this one).
Race fuel performance / pump gas price.
I'll take all the cooling I can get too.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
I hav
I have an E85 station 2 minutes from home and will be towing anyway, so hauling fuel with me doesn't seem that tough and saves having to leave the track and drive to a station to refuel a few times a weekend, so doesn't feel like a huge inconvenience once I decide what to use.

I did this, 55 gallon plastic barrel with the cheap plastic syphon pump worked perfect. tried a couple pumps, one steel with the pump handle, other with rotary handle and they never lasted. E85 between gas stations is always so inconsistent, but found one local that always tested E85, where others were E70. So to avoid any issues brought the good fuel to the track so I wouldn't have to leave to fuel up. This was on my previous 2012 Boss, ran cooler, and felt the tune for E85 ran better over the 93 octane tune.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I have 2) 55 gal drums in the shop but bring it to the track in fuel jugs.
On my blower motor it was worth 100 whp. On my N/A Coyote it was worth about 12 whp. Its 1/3rd the price of race fuel and runs way cooler, so its all e85 all the time for me. I'll never pay 10+ dollars a gallon for fuel.

521B44A6-EEB8-458C-90DB-D28C3302F85C.jpeg

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Sunoco leaded race fuel 105 octane is $29 Canuck Bucks a gallon which is $23 USD. I thought it was bad when I was paying 6 bucks a gallon back in the early 90s. We are awash in oil up here but the politicos of the day are all hell bent to jack fuel prices beyond reason. We are governed by a haircut.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sunoco leaded race fuel 105 octane is $29 Canuck Bucks a gallon which is $23 USD. I thought it was bad when I was paying 6 bucks a gallon back in the early 90s. We are awash in oil up here but the politicos of the day are all hell bent to jack fuel prices beyond reason. We are governed by a haircut.
That’s crazy….can you get e85 up there?
When I started using racing fuel it was 3.65/gal and we thought that was outrageous.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Fresno, ca
I have an e85 station across the street. By "obtain" I meant taking up a pump at the gas station while I unload, fill up, then load 6 containers with fuel lol. Oh, the dirty looks I get.
I guess I'm getting lazy and moving from "race car" towards "fun car", since I did the race gas/trailer thing for so long.
It's going to be nice using regular 'ol pump gas for a while. With this car, anyway. Who knows, with the next one.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
On my blower motor it was worth 100 whp. On my N/A Coyote it was worth about 12 whp. Its 1/3rd the price of race fuel and runs way cooler, so its all e85 all the time for me. I'll never pay 10+ dollars a gallon for fuel.

View attachment 71977
You look a lot like Popcorn Sutton.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I have an e85 station across the street. By "obtain" I meant taking up a pump at the gas station while I unload, fill up, then load 6 containers with fuel lol. Oh, the dirty looks I get.
I guess I'm getting lazy and moving from "race car" towards "fun car", since I did the race gas/trailer thing for so long.
It's going to be nice using regular 'ol pump gas for a while. With this car, anyway. Who knows, with the next one.
Exactly!
6 containers and a full tank too!
I don't line 'em all up at once, it feels too conspicuous...

...but by the time I produce the 4th container folks start getting restless:banghead:

TX

View attachment 71977
Hey Sal - what do you do with E85 between events? Do you store it in those drums? Do you remove it from the car?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hey Sal - what do you do with E85 between events? Do you store it in those drums? Do you remove it from the car?
I pour the extra back in the drum but don’t drain the car unless it’s going to sit for an extended time. (Months)

TX
I pour the extra back in the drum but don’t drain the car unless it’s going to sit for an extended time. (Months)
Are you comfortable keeping the same E85 around for a couple of months and/or mixing new E85 in?

I've always been fairly careful to try and burn through all of the E85 I have or give away what I won't burn, but wonder if I'm put in a lot more effort than needed. I never have more than 6 weeks or so between events.

TMO Supporting Vendors