The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Having trouble with pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
So I installed Gloc R12 pads on the front and r10 on the rear, went to a track day and all was fine but then afterward blue spots start showing up on the rotors and got bad vibrations. So finally i bought a new set of dba rotors and re used my pads since they are practically new. I followed the bed in instructions perfectly but after one drive they already have the blue spots on them am I doing something wrong?

Nreef - having fought this a bunch, a few questions
- How long between the bedding and the hdpe event? It does not take long for race pads to scrape off the bedding on the street. Assume your first session is building back the rotor layer again.
- Did the abs engage in that session’? I have found in the past, if you do not have those layers built and the abs engages you have the pulsated blue deposit areas.
- What to do now? You can often have success with cold brakes of using the race pads to scrape the uneven deposit off and start the whole thing over.
- I am not that familiar with the R12/R10 pads on how sensitive they are to bedding since pad compounds vary widey. There are a lot of G-loc users on the forum who can add their thoughts. This was something I worked thru with the Hawk DTC-60 pads.
- Also really watch your tire pressures and how they change during a session, you are more likely to engage the abs at different points and ESC kicks-in (use advanced sporttrac setting if you have that option or consider off, but be careful with off)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Well the new rotors I just put on yesterday, re-bedded them today and they look a lot better, but the old rotors and the pads I would say I had them on together for maybe two weeks before the track day, and no abs didn’t engage.

Well the new rotors I just put on yesterday, re-bedded them today and they look a lot better, but the old rotors and the pads I would say I had them on together for maybe two weeks before the track day, and no abs didn’t engage.
Sounds good, glad you got it to a better condition. It is safe to assume that in two weeks the rotor was wiped clean assume it is a partial daily driver.

Below is a bedding procedure that seems to work pretty well from an ex-porsche racer owner of a motorsports shop for Pagid pads. If I think the layer is gone or had to change something during/before the event this is the process I follow for any race pad.

I also found in my notes is that the typicallu blue is pad resin deposits not pad transfer. As stated I drive with the race pads a bit to grind the surface versus sanding as my in my note, I tried sanding once without great success and wearing masks with brake dust was not my most fun.

Hopefully after two bedding processes you have the pad surface resin heated off. Good luck

1654189923854.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Do you have any brakes ducts?? Sometimes you can get deposits when the race pads run with low temps. Maybe on the way home??

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Sounds good, glad you got it to a better condition. It is safe to assume that in two weeks the rotor was wiped clean assume it is a partial daily driver.

Below is a bedding procedure that seems to work pretty well from an ex-porsche racer owner of a motorsports shop for Pagid pads. If I think the layer is gone or had to change something during/before the event this is the process I follow for any race pad.

I also found in my notes is that the typicallu blue is pad resin deposits not pad transfer. As stated I drive with the race pads a bit to grind the surface versus sanding as my in my note, I tried sanding once without great success and wearing masks with brake dust was not my most fun.

Hopefully after two bedding processes you have the pad surface resin heated off. Good luck

View attachment 76331
Thanks, that’s a good good this is very helpful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
Thats a good point, mixing brake pad compounds on the same disc, that has not been cleaned, can lead to funky deposits.
yeah sanded down the rotors with 80 grit as per instructions before putting the new pads on but probably not enough and I think that’s what caused those ones to go bad but i’m just confused on why it happened to the new rotors. Although I did re do the bedding process today and they are looking much better.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel