The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hawk DTC-60's - Looking for Feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been running Carbotech XP16's & 20's on the front for a while now but am thinking about trying a set of DTC-60's. From what I understand, the common concencus is that Hawk race pads are tough on rotors, but I have not heard much about their lifespan. With pads costing more than a new set of stoptech slotted rotors I can live with it if the Hawks are tough on them as long as they are comparable in performance and life. (i.e. I'd rather replace rotors a bit more often if the pads work well and last long enough). I typically get 5 - 7 days out the Carbotech's but was wondering what I might expect from the DTC-60's. I can get them at a good price, saving me about $50 over the Carbotech's, but if I'm going to be dissaponted it's not worth the savings.

Any feedback on the comparison in terms or pad life, performance, etc would be great. Thanks!

I run DTC 60s all around. They are solid and have not faded, even at CMP this weekend. They will last 4 days, and are tough on rotors. Probably overkill for me, but I want to be safe. Where do you get them on the cheap?

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
KBBOSS1086 said:
I've been running Carbotech XP16's & 20's on the front for a while now but am thinking about trying a set of DTC-60's. From what I understand, the common concencus is that Hawk race pads are tough on rotors, but I have not heard much about their lifespan. With pads costing more than a new set of stoptech slotted rotors I can live with it if the Hawks are tough on them as long as they are comparable in performance and life. (i.e. I'd rather replace rotors a bit more often if the pads work well and last long enough). I typically get 5 - 7 days out the Carbotech's but was wondering what I might expect from the DTC-60's. I can get them at a good price, saving me about $50 over the Carbotech's, but if I'm going to be dissaponted it's not worth the savings.

Any feedback on the comparison in terms or pad life, performance, etc would be great. Thanks!

If you've been running the XP16s/20s, you should be looking at the Hawk DTC-70s, the DTC-60 is closer to a XP10/12 pad.

You should see longer live out of the Hawk pads, they are a harder compound then the Carbotechs, can't give you an exact time frame.

-Nick

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Flyboygsxr said:
Hawk dtc 60 up front and dtc 70 out back. They are amazing. I came off of pagid pads and I much prefer the hawks.

Usually we would run 70 front and 60 rear, since 70 is the more aggressive. If you want to run 60s in the front I'd suggest HT10s rear. Good luck w/ that combo in the past.

PF 01 / 97 FTW, though

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
ArizonaBOSS said:
Usually we would run 70 front and 60 rear, since 70 is the more aggressive. If you want to run 60s in the front I'd suggest HT10s rear. Good luck w/ that combo in the past.

PF 01 / 97 FTW, though

If you like the 01 / 97 combo, you should try out the XP20/12 or XP24/12.

Great amounts of friction and torque, XP24 is a longer wearing pad with increased friction than the 20s, R-Comp tires only.

-Nick

Thanks for the info everyone. I got a good deal on 60's so I'm going to try them out at Watkins Glen Mon & Tue. I will post back with my impressions compared to the XP 16's.

ArizonaBOSS said:

PF 01 / 97 FTW, though
Brake pads are so funny. It's like Coke or Pepsi. To me the PFCs are like ice, no bite, but Drew wins races with them. I won TT3 with Hawks and then got free pads :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Brake pads are so funny. It's like Coke or Pepsi. To me the PFCs are like ice, no bite, but Drew wins races with them. I won TT3 with Hawks and then get free pads :)

Yeah I think a lot of it does boil down to personal preference.

Nick--thanks for the suggestion but I have no reason to switch :)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Flyboygsxr said:
Hawk dtc 60 up front and dtc 70 out back. They are amazing. I came off of pagid pads and I much prefer the hawks.

Just out of curiosity, what Pagid's were you using?

Thanks for the info everyone. I got a good deal on 60's so I'm going to try them out at Watkins Glen Mon & Tue. I will post back with my impressions compared to the XP 16's.

Sean,

Think I saw you driving down to the track Sunday afternoon. I have a yellow '12 Boss and just finished a 3 day event on Sunday. Do you live close to the track? I'm up in Rochester. Well, have fun and enjoy the new pads.

Hermes

Hi Hermes:

I'm I live near Scranton, PA but you might have saw me. I was coming from Mike's (06Mach1) shop in Bliss NY. He would have been in front of me towing his orange 2012.

Sean

So I had major caliper issues at the Glen. On Monday the outside driver bleed screw stripped the threads in the caliper. Luckily I found a replacement from a local grand am team owner. Then on Tuesday the same thing happened to the passenger side. Fortunately, the Phoenix racing team was there and helped me plug with a tap and pipe plug...it worked great. I was able to run two 40 min sessions at full speed with no issues. The end result is I have one new gloss black caliper and one stick boss caliper that needs to ultimately be replaced. If anyone has a gloss black right front brembo caliper for sake let me know.

As for the DTC-60's. They worked well but generated a lot if hear which the Phoenix mechanic felt may have contributed to the bleeder problems (on top of 3 years of bleeding regularly at the track). The pads stopped well but it took a good deal more pressure to get the same breaking I was used to with the Carbotech 16's and 20's. Phoenix did not recommended using them on the front due to the extra heat generated from the break pressure needed. I'm going to try the DTC-70's next time, which is what they recommended.

All this said, I was able to beat my personal best lap time by more than 2 seconds with a 2:14.02.

Special thanks to Mike and his son Andy for all the help before and during the event!

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
KBBOSS1086 said:
So I had major caliper issues at the Glen. On Monday the outside driver bleed screw stripped the threads in the caliper. Luckily I found a replacement from a local grand am team owner. Then on Tuesday the same thing happened to the passenger side. Fortunately, the Phoenix racing team was there and helped me plug with a tap and pipe plug...it worked great. I was able to run two 40 min sessions at full speed with no issues. The end result is I have one new gloss black caliper and one stick boss caliper that needs to ultimately be replaced. If anyone has a gloss black right front brembo caliper for sake let me know.

As for the DTC-60's. They worked well but generated a lot if hear which the Phoenix mechanic felt may have contributed to the bleeder problems (on top of 3 years of bleeding regularly at the track). The pads stopped well but it took a good deal more pressure to get the same breaking I was used to with the Carbotech 16's and 20's. Phoenix did not recommended using them on the front due to the extra heat generated from the break pressure needed. I'm going to try the DTC-70's next time, which is what they recommended.

All this said, I was able to beat my personal best lap time by more than 2 seconds with a 2:14.02.

Special thanks to Mike and his son Andy for all the help before and during the event!

The DTC-70s will generate even more heat than the 60S did. Those XP16 and XP20s generate even more heat than the 60s or 70s. when you went from the XP16 and XP20 you took a step in the opposite direction for friction material.

The DTC-70s are most comparable to the XP12. Carbotech discontinued the XP16 pad because it was their fastest wearing compound, wear characteristics are a little worse than the XP12 but it offered similar bite to that of the XP20.

There are pros and cons to both pads, Carbotech will wear faster but will be more friendly to your rotors, Hawk pads will last longer, but are more harsh towards the rotors.

-Nick

TMO Supporting Vendors