The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Head and Neck restrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickshelby said:
Is there a sketch or some pictures of the typical "not through the seat" sub-belt set-up?

Check page 15 there is a picture for the sub-belt. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/cool-tech-roll-bar-sneak-peek-502918/index15/

I haven't installed mine yet but don't do it like some going from the front of the seat.

This one?

scaled.php

So what about this for HPDE use? https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

This allows the stock seat to be used, and it can be upgraded later to be a 6-point if/when I get a more serious, a racing seat, and Hans. The shoulder strap design allows it to behave similar to a 3-point, so a Hans is not as important as it is with a 6-point, although it still won't hurt. Plus I can buy the street legal version or regular unit. This would be an improvement over the stock 3-point with a roll bar, save some money for now, and still be safe on the street without a Hans, no?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
WinterSucks said:
So what about this for HPDE use? https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/profi-asm/profi-II-asm

This allows the stock seat to be used, and it can be upgraded later to be a 6-point if/when I get a more serious, a racing seat, and Hans. The shoulder strap design allows it to behave similar to a 3-point, so a Hans is not as important as it is with a 6-point, although it still won't hurt. Plus I can buy the street legal version or regular unit. This would be an improvement over the stock 3-point with a roll bar, save some money for now, and still be safe on the street without a Hans, no?

Schroth harnesses, 4 or 6 pt, 3" or 2" shoulder straps, are all approved for use with a Hans. You CAN (and should) use a 4 pt. system with the Hans. If you invested in a roll bar you are concerend about safety - a GODD THING ! ;D The # of instances of a rollover are low vs. the # of collisions where a Hans can save your life.

-Pete

Don't have a bar yet, hoping there might be another Watson group buy. I can't count the number of times I have seen video of a car spin out and look OK, only to suddenly catch and roll. I guess the Hans is still a better bet, since with a racing crash there might be more than one forward impact, and from the way they word it, it sounds like the harness just has an extra fold stitched in on the inboard shoulder. Once that breaks I am not sure how much good it will be for the remainder of the incident if you bounce back in the seat then crash forward again. Definitely won't feel very good slamming into the harness when it tightens.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The ASM system is designed to allow the torso to rotate, same as a in as 3 point stock harness does. This make it more difficult to get pinned under the dashboard in a serious crash.

As for the Hans. I would not choose it over the roll bar. My point was it is just as critical a component of a good system. That said a minor collision can snap your head forward, forces being more than normal due to the weight of the helmet, and cause serious injury. Case in point, Mr. Earnhardt.

-Pete

I'm confused...maybe I read over something, but is a HANS not recommended if you don't have a roll bar and 4/6 point belts?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
jlwdvm said:
I'm confused.. maybe I read over something, but is a HANS not recommended if you don't have a roll bar and 4/6 point belts?

The Hans device requires a roll or harness bar. You can use a 4 point system. Other head and neck restraints don't need a roll/harness bar.

-Pete

I guess I meant HANS in the general sense. I have a 2013 that I take to HPDE's a couple times/year. I don't think a roll bar is in my future, but want to be safe.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
jlwdvm said:
I guess I meant HANS in the general sense. I have a 2013 that I take to HPDE's a couple times/year. I don't think a roll bar is in my future, but want to be safe.

If you go with a true Hans device you will need at least a harness bar and a 4 point harness system. Their PRO model is VERY light and unobtrusive. Other manufacturers make systems that include something that looks like a body brace that the helmet hooks to instead of using the support from the shoulder harnesses. Here's just one example, first one I found when I Googled it: http://pitstopusa.com/i-16236003-simpson-hybrid-sport-head-neck-restraint-sfi-approved.html?gclid=CO3Iz4OUp70CFRQV7AodJzUACw

From a safety perspective, most drivers address a good harness system before head and neck restraint. A high quality helmet is also very important, and if you can afford one that is also very light (carbon fiber or carbon fiber composite) that is an added benefit.

-Pete

drano38

Wayne
I'll pile onto this thread rather than start a new one. With my Watson roll bar going in this weekend, I need a hans device.
Friday, I purchased a Simpson Hybrid Sport from Speedway Racing.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simpson-Racing-Hybrid-Sport-Head-Neck-Restraint-Sliding-Tether-Version,51656.html
I was in Omaha, so decided to drive over so I could try on the various brands. Instead of free shipping, I had to pay sales tax. But the counter worker I got was outstanding (he's used HANS and Simpson Hybrid for dirt track, so has experience with both). So paying sales tax got him the sale.
This thing is literately like its not there. Just a bit of bulk at the top of the shoulders, but fits very well with the stock Recaro seat. D-ring tethers may get replaced, but I'll use it as is for the Hastings Mustang Roundup.
Necksgen Rev collar sat too high and would hit the base of my helmet.
HANS Sport II had too much bulk behind my helmet. I drive with my seat fairly upright, so my helmet almost touches the seat. Adding the HANS behind it would get annoying.
Luckily we're getting more choices in the market. Trouble is we now need to decide whats best for us. Being able to try them on at a retailer was great.
Now I need to order some Cool Tech clips and a 6 point harness.

TMO Supporting Vendors