The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Head and Neck Restraints for Track Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOD, PCA and others are going to require a HNR for all 4-7 point harnesses unless you're using the Schroth ASM. This goes into effect on January 1, 2019. I suspect a Hybrid device will be required within the next couple of years for use with a factory 3 point harness. We were required to wear a Simpson Hybrid HNR at the GT350 Track Tour three years ago.

We've been discussing HNR's in the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/hans-device-vs-simpson-hybrid.14268/

Thoughts on this?

IMG_6688.jpg

Thanks for the traumatic flashback to 8th grade French... ;-)
My foreign language was Spanish...all I remember is "Si y Como esta estud"....and another one...I'm sure am not coming to even close to spelling this right. Maybe somebody here could help me out.."Selvasa frio in la the navira" (cold beer in the fridge):eek:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Lol. All I remember is "what time is it" and most importantly, "I do not speak French."

But that was the time Patti LaBelle had a few hit songs. And stupid me inoccently asks my 60-yr old French teacher:
What does "Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" mean...

I'll never forget the look on her face.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I don't have a roll bar but I presume that a 5 or 6 point harness requires a roll bar or cage to anchor the harness. If such cars also have the air bags disabled then this makes sense.

However for those that may install a bar or cage with a 6point harness and still retain their stock steering wheel and airbags it seems they are being penalized compared to those with just a stock 3-point harness.

Yes, those that have made such mods, along with the usual attending power adders, may drive faster than if the car where stock. But what about all the Z06s, ZR1s, Hellcats, McLarens, etc that just come with 3-point harnesses?

They should simplify and require it only when the stock airbags have been totally or partially disabled.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Why disable the airbags? Why would the airbag be a negative with harnesses and a bar?
Seems to me that it’s an added piece of protection.
I could see where the bar, harnesses and HANS would do the same job, but. Why remove the added assist in a wreck.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I wasn't advocating removal of an airbag but some cars have their steering wheel replaced with a quick detachable steering wheel. Requiring a H&N restraint, if it serves to offset the lack of an airbag, would make sense.

My main point is if hi-perf cars with 3-point seat belts do not require use of a H&N restraint, then why "penalize" someone who has not disabled any OEM safety features but has taken the extra safety precaution to add a roll bar & 6-point harness?

I can't imagine a driver is safer without a roll bar, harness, or H&N restraint compared to a driver that has everything BUT a H&N restraint.

They should simplify and require it only when the stock airbags have been totally or partially disabled.
A concern with this approach is who determines or checks on the airbag equipment? From a liability perspective that's a can of worms. You either need to require them with harnesses or not.

I'm pretty sure that some groups and tracks will be renting the HNR's just like they do helmets.

TMO Supporting Vendors