The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Head and Neck Restraints for Track Days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If and when it is mandated by some groups, you can bet those Enterprising folks will have some available at the event for rent, and it will likely not be as big an impact as some may fear? In fact , with the proper Marketing, it could be a Sales Tool to promote a group as being the best place to do an HPDE- showing they offer great safety guidelines and offer rental Hans ( or similar devices ) at their events. Heck , knowing DaveW, in our Region, he has so much cool stuff for our NASA and SCCA events , he might even have a little discount for those on site, if this comes out, required, over the next few years?

I had suggested this to my local safety gear shop and they were concerned with the liability so they aren't going to rent them. Not saying it's impossible tho.

Glad you're OK. Was that in your Boss or GT350?

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I was fan of Dale Earnhardt...And I believe he might have survived that terrible crash at Daytona in 2001 if he had the Hans device...He was old school and never even liked a full face helmet. Safety devices are there to save your life, not hinder it, at their tyme of need......who am I to talk...I don't even like wearing seat belts....................
There were multiple things that could have saved him that day but sadly we cant go back and fix any of them, I believe that more research was put into safety equipment after his death and raised awareness for some of the newer safety devices coming out. I agree with requiring a hans for HPDE as it's a lot safer and my assumption would be that it would cost sanctioning bodies less in insurance and hopefully lead to a cheaper entry fee (doubtful though)

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I just went thru a crash a few weeks ago, front impact sliding sideways wearing Schroth Quickfit Pro and the Schroth SHR XLT head and neck brace and a full face helmet. The airbag went off. It happened fast but my recollection was is that the airbag just grazed the bottom of my helmet in the chin area. I am 66 years old and the next day I wasn't sore, stiff or anything. Granted it wasn't an 80 MPH impact but probably 35-40 MPH. I have been thinking about it a lot and with the 4 point ASM I feel you should still wear a HANS device. I am not sure the airbags are designed to work properly with you wearing a 4 point harness. Your body is held tight into the seat, just like a 5 or 6 point harness so what happens to your head and neck without a HANS device in a 4 point? Something to think about.

That's kind of what I was getting at. An airbag isn't going to stop your head snapping forward in an impact if you're wearing a harness of any kind. You probably won't even hardly touch them (as you found out). A HNR will prevent that, so the airbag debate is kind of a moot point.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We should really all wear a neck restraint system when we head out on the track. Recently hit the armaco barrier at 80+ km/hr and walked out of the car without a scratch are any aches or pains for that matter. Even in our end of the world race series down here in Chile, we now have HANS as mandatory!!

Actually getting the bill for the destroyed track barrier hurt more then the crash itself.....

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors