The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Head & Neck Restraint Device

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planning to purchase my first H&N device. Am running stock Recaros with Schroth ASM anchored to rear seat mounts. Keeping this car stock so no rollbar and fixed back seat.

I think I've narrowed down to Hans III and Necksgen but open to recommendation. Thanks!

I'm using a Hans II with a similar configuration and it works fine.

I had a conversation with John @ls110 at BIR last weekend about harnesses and rollbars. I too have a Schroth ASM anchored to rear seat mounts and No rollbar.
John made a really good point in case of a rollover, if the roof collapsed you would be trapped in a harness, and have the top of your head crushed. If you were using standard crossover OEM lap belt you would at least be able to slide to one side.
I ordered a Watson rollbar and will have it for Hallet!

drano38

Wayne
John gave you great advice!
I have a Simpson hybrid Sport model, and I really like it. I can put it on w/o the helmet, get in car, attach 6 point harness, then put helmet on and attach it to the Simpson.
I got rid of the standard FIA rated connectors/D-rings and put Quick Clicks on my helmet--difficult to hook up, and metal on metal rattle was very distracting.
http://simpsonraceproducts.com/shop-by-product/head-neck-restraints/hybrid-accessories/
Lots of choices out there. They all work. What's best for you is personal preference. Try to find a store that sells several brands, take your car and helmet shopping.

Safety is a personal decision and the more safety equipment the better.

I also agree with @ls110 . In my Boss I originally had a harness bar with Schroth harnesses and Hans device. I quickly decided that wasn't safe for me and purchased and installed a roll bar. Our cars are capable of going very fast and shiznit happens on track. Just ask several TMO members. Your car is replaceable but you're not. Proceed accordingly.

Appreciate the great feedback. I still have a s197 with a 6-pt MM rollbar and Sparcos so I certainly appreciate the importance of safety. Trying to keep the R as close to factory as possible.

Thank Rick! I actually have a Watson bar that I ordered for my non-R that never happened. I even got a raw bar (special order) from Watson and was ready to get it powder coated AG.

A local guy is buying it and I think he intends to powder coat it Ruby to match his '17 with no stripes. Should look really sharp.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Looking at a Hans Sport III post anchor model DK 14247-321 (FIA-SFI) Curious about how these are sized. I think I'm between the Large and Medium as my neck size runs 16-3/4 to 16-7/8 and this seems to be right in the middle of them both. Is the large going to be too sloppy?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
John made a really good point in case of a rollover, if the roof collapsed you would be trapped in a harness, and have the top of your head crushed. If you were using standard crossover OEM lap belt you would at least be able to slide to one side.

Although a roll bar is always better, what about Schroth's claim that 99% of injuries are to the head as a result of a standard shoulder belt allowing your head to go outside the window during a rollover?

See 5:20 in this video:

Based on this video having a harness, even without a roll bar, is better than just a lap/shoulder belt. Thoughts?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You ever get these belts recertified? And if so, can you explain the procedure? I assume they just replace the webbing. Is recertifying even worth the effort cost wise? What about these head restraints. Are we talking about expiration dates here too?

Sorry but the more I dig into this hobby, the more inquisitive I become.

TMO Supporting Vendors