The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Header bolts coming loose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was driving on the highway today with the windows up and I heard an exhaust leak coming from the engine bay on the drivers side. When I got where I was going I took a look under the hood and found 1 bolt about to fall out and another I could turn with my fingers. What are you guys doing to keep this from happening? I heard about the locking bolts or wiring the bolts together. Some people have used Teflon tape or blue loctight and tightening them down after heat cycling a few time until they stay tight. These bolts aren't exactly easy to get too. The teflon tape idea sound pretty good to me. Anyone try this?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Are you stock or modified? I'd stay away from teflon tape...but no idea if it works.

I've used Stage 8 locking header bolts when I built my last engine (2V 4.6L) like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Stage-8/868/8914/10002/-1?parentProductId=749275

Never gave me any problems. Each bolt has both an inner and outer hex so you can use both allen wrenches and sockets for installation.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I wish they made stage 8 bolts for the 5.0. They don't list any for them. Mine haven't come loose yet with my ahr long tubes but I reused as many oem studs and nuts as I could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you install the Kooks yourself? I can't imagine teflon tape is good for use in this application.

I had a shop install the Kook's for me, I didn't have the gahona's to tackle that by myself. I have an appointment to get them torqued down again on Thurs., hopefully for the last time.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
NFSBOSS said:
What type of teflon tape?
Basic plumbers tape. Header bolts. Driveshaft bolts. Flywheel bolts. Clutch bolts.

It's easier to "crack loose" than blue loctite, but still has excellent vibration resistance. It's also good for resistance corrosion between dissimilar materials.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Justin said:
I wish they made stage 8 bolts for the 5.0. They don't list any for them. Mine haven't come loose yet with my ahr long tubes but I reused as many oem studs and nuts as I could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wish is granted. 8)

Looks like you were on your phone...but click that link I posted. It's for the coyote 5.0 metric bolts!

Brandon302 said:
Was this a tick or a wooshing? I just notice a whoosing that seems to rpm rather than speed dependant.

I could hear a whoosing when I rolled up the windows and hit the gas. I could hear it on the drivers side.

From what I have read they need to be re-torqued or at least checked after a couple of heat cycles because of the gasket seating itself. I'm not sure if it's necessary if you use Loc-tite, locker bolts or the stage 8 system. The stage 8 look like they could be a royal pain in the ass unless you pull the engine. I still think the teflon tape would be the best route, frying pans get hotter then the header bolt. I tested it with a lighter and it has to get pretty hot before it melts, plus the threads stay clean if you ever have to remove the headers.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel