The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Header Ceramic Coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
DGRacing said:
Anyone ceramic coat their headers?
Supposed to cut down temps up to 30% and even add a few HP.

Here's my kooks.
16441446616_c994212f18_k.jpg

DG,

I know a few who had their Kooks shorties coated but no feedback yet. Mine are coated and in transit to me but I'm still a few weeks away from the install. One I complete my exhaust makeover, i do plan on having the car dynoed.

Here's a bit of conversation on header coating.

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/17304-header-coatings/

I had my headers coated by Swaintech. That said, I was told by FR that it's not necessary and wouldn't change the performance. I bought mine through Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning and he wanted to try the Swaintech coating on his so we sent them in at the same time. His hope was that they would "quiet" them down a bit versus a heat transfer benefit. There was no improvement in water, CHT or oil temps. They are also extremely loud so I don't think it had any effect there either, but they sound great. In combination with an off-road H pipe, they net 40 rwhp and 25 ft/lbs rwtq. It's easily the biggest bang for the buck power mod on this engine. If you haven't already done so, you will want to upgrade to a stainless steel clutch line versus the plastic stock line to protect it from heat.

20130207133033.jpg

Cool. Yeah I would doubt it would have any effect on internal engine oil/water temps. I think the main principle is reducing heat dissipation inside the exhaust causing it to maintain velocity through the collector. Supposed to be worth a few HP. Also keep external engine bay components cooler.

we'll see!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I too have a set of Kooks Super Street headers waiting for install. I went this route as I want to keep the OEM Boss 302 TracKey tune.

I used AirBorn Silver Ceramic coatings. My reason was twofold, 1. Hopefully to move heat down the exhaust pipes and reducing underwood heat, and 2. They will look nice 5 years from now. Nothing worse than rusty header pipes bolted to a Boss 302 U code engine, well maybe not rusty, but you might know what I mean.

Have fun and Drive your Boss,
302 HP
Dave

How much would someone charge to install the kooks super street...curious on budgeting for this upgrade.

johna said:
How much would someone charge to install the kooks super street...curious on budgeting for this upgrade.
My dealer charged a little more than $1K, and I think they wished they'd charged more. They did an excellent job, but it took far longer than they anticipated.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Fiddler49 said:
My dealer charged a little more than $1K, and I think they wished they'd charged more. They did an excellent job, but it took far longer than they anticipated.

Got a quote of $640 from a local mustang shop. I supply everything and they do the work. They figure 2 days at most. Still, I think I'm going with a local DIY shop with assistance. I figure the cost for 16 hours x $30 = $480 - Maybe I should rethink this...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel