The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Header exhaust heat wrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am about to have my LTH's installed and have been thinking about getting them wrapped before install. The plan is for track day usage and occasional rides. Im in the mid-atlantic area....is it worth wrapping to help keep the radiant heat down on the track?

DEye

You can't get there from here...
Shaun12 said:
I am about to have my LTH's installed and have been thinking about getting them wrapped before install. The plan is for track day usage and occasional rides. Im in the mid-atlantic area....is it worth wrapping to help keep the radiant heat down on the track?

Or ceramic coated

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ceramic coating would be the way I would go, but you're looking at another couple hundred bucks expense there, plus the downtime to coat, if time is a factor.

The wrap will work but you have to make sure it's tightly wound; it's also fairly delicate once it sees some use so you need to be careful when working in the engine bay with tools, etc. or you can tear the wrap.

@captdistraction care to chime in?

I did not do wrap or coating on my LTHs.

Im a little inexperienced with speed shops...is ceramic coating something they would typically do, generally speaking? I know id have to actually speak to someone eventually. I plan on using JPC out of Maryland if anyone is familiar.

Ceramic coating is typically done at powder coating shops. It's a bit of a specialty coating so be sure to do your homework and call around. I would recommend the ceramic option over wrapping if your budget allows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Shaun12 said:
Im a little inexperienced with speed shops...is ceramic coating something they would typically do, generally speaking? I know id have to actually speak to someone eventually. I plan on using JPC out of Maryland if anyone is familiar.

I doubt they do the coating in-house but I'd bet money they have a preferred vendor to use or can get it done for you; JPC is fairly well-known in the Mustang community.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The most well-known coating for exhausts is called "Jet Hot"; if you mention that to JPC, they should be able to get that or something very similar.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have nothing other than anecdotal "evidence" that would suggest that this is true.

What I DO know is that during BOSS development, the cars would generally crack/blow up the stock, non-wrapped headers every 3-5000 track miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors