The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Header install general questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
so firsr off, i guess the $100 a set ebay headers are just taking my life into my own hands?

Second, due to cat locations, I'm limited to shorty headers.

But, my experience with this stuff is kind of negative. Old cars are notorious for the bolt or stud to break in the head. Is that still thr case with these modern cars and alumimum heads? 115k miles and 8 years have me worried.

I'd think they make some difference. I've seen several cars nowadays have a factory manifold with a short tube into the manifold. This one on my 3.7 looks like the log manifold off some random car in the 60s

Most older cars didn't use good coatings or even stainless nuts on the exhaust manifold fasteners and that's why more often than not they broke due to corrosion, I haven't seen one break on a coyote or a 3.7, that's not to say it can't happen just take ur time and use penetrating fluid.

TMO Supporting Vendors