The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Headers, which way to go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was looking for the best way to go with headers. Kooks looks great but there are options like American headers, BBK, ARP and Pypes etc that are a lot cheaper. What are your suggestions?? I do like the full Kooks system but its seems that a Vortech or some such supercharger gives you more bang for the buck making me think about saving up...

Basically looking for a more HP for the track while retaining CATS to keep the car road legal.

Mad Hatter said:
I was looking for the best way to go with headers. Kooks looks great but there are options like American headers, BBK, ARP and Pypes etc that are a lot cheaper. What are your suggestions?? I do like the full Kooks system but its seems that a Vortech or some such supercharger gives you more bang for the buck making me think about saving up...

Basically looking for a more HP for the track while retaining CATS to keep the car road legal.

When the times comes I will be doing American Racing headers, I have seen the install and it looks much less convoluted then what people say they go through for 1 5/8's Kooks, I don't even want to know the headache for 1 7/8's Kooks.

I went with 1 7/8" ARH catted X headers. I definitely didn't feel a loss of power, but my car was out of commission for so long that I can't remember if it really felt faster, but the car certainly hauled the mail. Build quality is great. Installation is a bear. My decision for ARH came from the fact that they're run on CJs. I'm going to weld V-band connections on the cats to remove them for trackdays. My last cat episode from a catted magnaflow scarred me from using them during track days.

Good luck with the search.

I've read some neg reviews on the BBK and it wasn't just one forum. Only read positive on the others. I like the fact that the Kooks have a lifetime warranty and their work quality is top notch. The sound really Boss also. :)

^^^what he said about the sound is spot on. Headers are worth their money alone just for the sound. It's a growl/scream that you'll never get from any catback.

I went with kooks headers cated full exhaust right to the 4inch tips.
neema maybe you could put up some pics when you weld the v-bands connectors.

I have AED tunes so when I was making a decision on which Headers to use I asked Shaun. I have his permission to quote him on what he preferred and why.

"I choose headers based on the following:
1. O2 placement
2. Power gains
3. TiVCT schedules I have in my data base. (Every time you change intake or exhaust runner length it becomes necessary to change the cam timing to extract every last bit of HP out of the combinatio).

ARH headers need the O2 sensor bungs relocated 'Tip Down'. Kooks we have yet to see a problem with.
Power gains for both ARH and Kooks are impressive.
I do not have TiVCT schedules for the Boss with ARH headers, but I do have it for the Kooks.

Hence my recommendation to run the Kooks setup."

I'm planning on installing the Kooks 1 7/8 and Off Road X in the near future.

We're running some killer deals on Kooks, Pypes and stainless works all of which have had some great proven gains, 304 stainless and the bungs in the correct location. Let us know if we can help!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have ARH long tubes with off road x with side pipe kick outs. I went with them cause I got them for a great price and its the only place I have seen that offers a x-pipe that retains the side exahust. I have installed BBK and AHR and the AHR's were easier. If your not installing them yourself go with the AHR's. I have AED tunes with my car. I have had a sensor go out about a year after running E85 cant see how you would make teh sensor placement the way shaun said on those headers there just isnt room.

If you dont care about keeping the side pipes get the bbk's to save a lot of money. Pypes also makes a stepped header for the cars now which is what I was going to go with till I came across a great deal on the AHR's. I didnt want to lose my side pipes.

JBA's are supposedly going to make the most power but the tube placement on those makes it a nightmare to install. I helped a friend install them on his 11 gt and you couldnt pay me enough money to do it again. the AHR's out of the three brands I have installed were by far the easiest to install.

I will say this Kooks took a million years to make and ship my side pipes!!!!

Also do not run harness extentions!!! you are asking for problems if you do. splice and solder the rear sensors to make them longer and if you un hook the front wire leads from the bell housing they will reach with room to spare. if you want to keep the harness routed like factory buy a ford raptor sensor P/N DY1184 but longer leads (59 plus shipping much cheaper then a mustang sensor for some reason). its what I went with to replace the one that popped in my car. www.rockauto.com has the best price on this. go under 2011 ford/f150/6.2L/emissions/o2 sensors motorcraft DY1184

Justin said:
I have ARH long tubes with off road x with side pipe kick outs. I went with them cause I got them for a great price and its the only place I have seen that offers a x-pipe that retains the side exahust. I have installed BBK and AHR and the AHR's were easier. If your not installing them yourself go with the AHR's. I have AED tunes with my car. I have had a sensor go out about a year after running E85 cant see how you would make teh sensor placement the way shaun said on those headers there just isnt room.

If you dont care about keeping the side pipes get the bbk's to save a lot of money. Pypes also makes a stepped header for the cars now which is what I was going to go with till I came across a great deal on the AHR's. I didnt want to lose my side pipes.

JBA's are supposedly going to make the most power but the tube placement on those makes it a nightmare to install. I helped a friend install them on his 11 gt and you couldnt pay me enough money to do it again. the AHR's out of the three brands I have installed were by far the easiest to install.

I will say this Kooks took a million years to make and ship my side pipes!!!!

Also do not run harness extentions!!! you are asking for problems if you do. splice and solder the rear sensors to make them longer and if you un hook the front wire leads from the bell housing they will reach with room to spare. if you want to keep the harness routed like factory buy a ford raptor sensor P/N DY1184 but longer leads (59 plus shipping much cheaper then a mustang sensor for some reason). its what I went with to replace the one that popped in my car. www.rockauto.com has the best price on this. go under 2011 ford/f150/6.2L/emissions/o2 sensors motorcraft DY1184

Hey Justin, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find the best deal on your ARH? Also how long did your install take for these and was it done on a lift or ramps?

Thanks.

agree with ops ref money spent on kooks can get you well on youur way to forced induction. Havnet decided which way im going yet

Justin

azazell64 said:
Hey Justin, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find the best deal on your ARH? Also how long did your install take for these and was it done on a lift or ramps?

Thanks.
I bought the headers and mid pipe used. install took me about 8 hours by myself on rhino ramps this was with me breaking to eat and extend the rear sensors harness length. flex head ratchet wrenches go a long way to speed things up.

Justin said:
I bought the headers and mid pipe used. install took me about 8 hours by myself on rhino ramps this was with me breaking to eat and extend the rear sensors harness length. flex head ratchet wrenches go a long way to speed things up.

Perfect thanks for the help, this will be coming sooner or later. Which series of Rhino ramp do you have?

Justin

azazell64 said:
Perfect thanks for the help, this will be coming sooner or later. Which series of Rhino ramp do you have?
I have the normal ones. the extremes work better as they are wider but I am getting buy fine with the normal ones. I have two sets.

Justin said:
I have the normal ones. the extremes work better as they are wider but I am getting buy fine with the normal ones. I have two sets.

Excellent, another item to add to the shopping list. Thanks again for the input.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The difference in price between the ARH and Kooks headers with Boss type H pipes is almost nothing. Starting to lean towards just installing the Kooks headers and H pipe. Need a new side pipe any how since one of mine sounds bad with a big leak.. Was planning on waiting for the Xcal 4 before data logging for a AED tune, the fact that Shaun recommends the Kooks makes it a easy choice if they are the same price. I have to do the tune long distance so the more info on hand the less likely to have trouble later! I guess 1 3/4 size would be fine??

TMO Supporting Vendors