The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Headers, which way to go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARH LTs are great but I had a O2 sensor fail due to horizontal sensor bungs. Had a shop point them down for me, no issues since. Like Justin said, only P0420/P0430 codes, but every 50-75 miles gets annoying. Aftermarket tune may help since they can shut the rear O2 sensors.

The SCT tuner let's you shut the rear sensors off with out pushing a tune. I have no clue how this looks in the eye's of the dealer.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Finally having my Kooks 1 3/4 headers arriving this week. Its taken forever to get them but looking forward running them soon. Went without the sidepipes to save weight, to be honest my side pipes have been leaking like crazy and did not want to spend more money on another set. I assume you can run them on the track without a tune?? Will get a AED tune soon but need to log the car etc

Mad Hatter said:
Finally having my Kooks 1 3/4 headers arriving this week. Its taken forever to get them but looking forward running them soon. Went without the sidepipes to save weight, to be honest my side pipes have been leaking like crazy and did not want to spend more money on another set. I assume you can run them on the track without a tune?? Will get a AED tune soon but need to log the car etc

It's been a while since posting; but I went with 1 3/4. The guys at Kooks highly recommended that size especially if the car is N/A. "Helps with Low End grunt".

I had them installed last May and Shaun updated my tunes for the Kooks. I was amazed at the difference in how the Boss pulled after the Kooks. Shaun said that the Bosses he has done in Ca were getting 35-40 rwhp gain. Definitely worth the $$$.

Mad Hatter said:

may I ask a question... How do you log a car with the SCT tuner?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I will be using a sct4 connected to a pc. Shaun at AED gives you the parameters to log and the pc software is availble from the sct website.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ran with my new kooks with catted x pipe. Top speed at the end of straight away jumped 12km/hr right away. Well worth it!! Need to get some new mufflers to get some sound back!! ....and get that tune...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i wish that I has seen this sooner, we use American racing on our cars but Kooks is a high quality product as well as a few others. One of the things I ran into in teardown is the inability to get a wrench on some of the header bolts. We install the headers on the engine and drop it in as a unit which is great until you have to disassemble it piece by piece for tech. Now things that were easily accessible are no longer even visible,
In the future, we will be using 12 point heads on all of the header bolts, in this manner you can get a 12 point box wrench on the fastener in several locations. With the standard hex, the wrench was either up against the header pipe or against the block, using a 12 point will let you "clock" the wrench to a position where it can be turned. There's also some torx type fasteners and what not that can be used to help with this but removing hot headers in tech took almost 2 hours. We had to remove the steering shaft and misc brackets and then turn the bolts a 1/8 turn at a time..after we broke them loose. PITA.

snmRR4Gl.jpg

cUM6DmLl.jpg

Notice on these pics the headers are still in the car, we loosened them at the exit flange and unbolted them from the head to move them over. Back in the day when Hookers were all the rage we used to run Hookers on the race cars because they were equal length and then Hedman on the street cars because they weren't equal length and were built around the car. You still had some HP gain and you kept all of your accessories for the street. Plus you lost a bunch of weight over the stock manifolds. Everything is a compromise, at least these days you have decent coatings and stainless steel, that was unheard of in production headers back then.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi BlackSheep-1:

This Tech Inspection was an extensive tear down. Can you share with me why this was required?
In your level of racing, is this something that must be done on every race, for every car, or is this something that was competitor complaint driven?

Or, is this like going thru airport security and they pick a random race team or car to put thru hell?

I am not a Race Car Driver, so please don't misunderstand, I'm just trying to learn how all of this works. Thank you so much for your post, (in general), as I most always learn something new from you. Most of all thank you for your patience with me.

All the Best,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Steve:

Now I see, I didn't pick up that BlackSheep-1 had the top podium finish. I did know about sealed engines not requiring an extensive tear down inspection, (or at least the intent of the sealed engine program race series).

OBTW: Congratulations on the WIN BlackSheep-1!

Thanks so much,
Dave
2HP

I am aware of those fasteners but am just not convinced that they work all that well, if you can but the flange up.against something then they're great but you can't always do that. As far as tech goes, it just depends on what they want. At IMSA they usually pull the entire engine and take it to Charlotte and run it on a dyno. Other places want something else. In this case the inspector wanted to check the valve sizes, and the camshafts..
no way around that, they also etched the inlet restrictor. On the GT2 corvette they checked the inlet, and P&Gd the number one cylinder to check displacement. They also checked wing height. .it must be level or below the roof. It all just depends, SCCA let us take pics only if it was our car, IMSA does not allow any photos in tech whatsoevet.

Grant 302 said:
Rob-

Have you heard of Stage 8 header bolts? 6 point, but locking plus allen head for tight spots.

My son uses these on his fox body 347CI drag car. They work great for him. Not sure what size diameter headers he runs, but they are large. Of course there is also a lot more room in his fox body then our Boss 302's too.

Grant 302 said:
Rob-

Have you heard of Stage 8 header bolts? 6 point, but locking plus allen head for tight spots.

I used them when I installed my Kooks headers. The allen made it easier on the tights spots.

Before you install the clips, make sure everything is OK and got no leaks because it will be a nightmare to remove them.

TMO Supporting Vendors