The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

headers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

without cats so it does have a check engine light till i get a tune. i had someone do it at a speed shop here in new york. 6 to 8 hour job on a lift

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have their headers and off road x pipe with skied exhaust hook ups. They sound amazing and were well worth the effort. I installed them myself in my garage on ramps.

even with the stock mufflers i like the sound. i dont think i will see much gain other than sound if i change those

gammadan said:
even with the stock mufflers i like the sound. i dont think i will see much gain other than sound if i change those

I think you are mistaken, I think you will see a noticable gain by going to Long tubes and no cats

Justin

Boss 738 said:
I think you are mistaken, I think you will see a noticable gain by going to Long tubes and no cats
i think he meant mufflers but I to am confused. Long tubes and no cats is worth quite a bit of power. Around 30-40rwhp depending on the set up. Swapping mufflers not so much but couple all the components together headers mid pipe over the axle tubes and mufflers and the entire combo works together to net very nice gains.

i did mean mufflers. other than sound how much gain will i see from changing them. it sounds amazing now

Justin

Sean said:
Axle backs don't add anything, they are pretty much for sound only.
there is power to be had in the over the axle tubes coupled with a straight through from the mags and articles I have read. But just pure axle backs maybe five at the most is what I have seen and that's how much a dyno can fluctuate on a car so to me it's nill.

Minus the CEL, do you have to get the motor re-tuned? I've been eyeing up a new H-pipe and Long tubes, but don't want to mess with the motors tuning...the thought of buying a new $20,000 motor on a car that I've only made 2 payments on makes me ill.

Justin

Shaun12 said:
Minus the CEL, do you have to get the motor re-tuned? I've been eyeing up a new H-pipe and Long tubes, but don't want to mess with the motors tuning...the thought of buying a new $20,000 motor on a car that I've only made 2 payments on makes me ill.
20k for a motor? You guys know that when a motor goes it doesn't mean you have to buy a crate motor....just need usually a short block or long block which can be had well under 8k for the long block. The short block is around 4k for a nice built one.

The ECU will correct for the headers. Still will have a cel and you will be leaving power on the table but it will be fine. But then again putting headers on your car will more then likely have you eating the cost of a motor if it fails anyways so might was well tune the thing.

gammadan - i agree 100% but i went with kooks super streets and jegs cat deletes and to Shaun12, as Justin said if yer gonna put headers on, might as well tune it. I had my tune done by JDM Engineering here in NJ. I am extremely happy with the results and the JDM boys are top notch

See my post on the SVT forum
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-2013-boss-302-mustang-373/945388-2012-boss-kooks-super-street-headers-dynoed.html

TMO Supporting Vendors