The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heading to my First HPDE event!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well everyone I get to take the leap from Autocrossing to on track! I am going in with my mind open and try to absorb as much info as I can and have fun doing it! any words of advise for a newbie? I have read multiple threads on first track days and I only had a few questions. First is how much extra fuel should I bring? plan on taking two five gallon cans and have the car tank a little over half a tank. car is prepped pretty well after last AutoX event (fresh fluids), Brakes are newish all the way around and I mounted a Fire extinguisher for just in case measures. also have a cooler packed with food and water! I am super excited Its a 2 day event at Grattan and I should get quite a bit of seat time!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
First, have a full tank and keep it 1/2 full at all times. Sounds like you can drive your car to a nearby station if more fuel is needed but the goofy Mustang saddleback tank can starve for fuel in long corners so keep that baby full. This is not like an autocross where you are making short runs and don't want the extra weight, keep the GT full and have fun. You said you changed fluids but did you also do Brake fluid? If not, do a flush and fill with a solid DOT 4 fluid like Motul 600.

First, have a full tank and keep it 1/2 full at all times. Sounds like you can drive your car to a nearby station if more fuel is needed but the goofy Mustang saddleback tank can starve for fuel in long corners so keep that baby full. This is not like an autocross where you are making short runs and don't want the extra weight, keep the GT full and have fun. You said you changed fluids but did you also do Brake fluid? If not, do a flush and fill with a solid DOT 4 fluid like Motul 600.
Ok I will keep it full and not run it lower then a 1/2 tank and Yes I changed the brake fluid with DOT 4.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Get in the habit of doing a quick check of your gauges / lights on a long straight every lap. Autocross runs are short enough (and action-packed enough) that we don't bother looking at gauges. A 20-minute track session is completely different, and not paying attention to coolant temps, idiot lights, etc. can be costly.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
+1 on the comments on keeping hydrated, especially in the heat most of us are having now. Do some electrolyte maintenance as well as plain water, like 1 bottle of Gatorade for every few bottles of water. Drink more than you think you need and before you get thirsty, because once you get behind and start to feel dehydrated it's already too late. Dehydration can lead to higher heart rate & blood pressure, and loss of concentration & coordination - things you really need on track.

I did my Boss Track Attack in July 2014, and it was about 105 in SLC. I had a bottle of water immediately after each session, then had a bottle of juice or Gatorade during the debrief / lesson, then downed another water and hit the head on the way to the car for the next session. Monitoring your urine color helps in high heat - it should be between clear and light yellow / straw. If it's like apple juice, you're starting to be dehydrated and you need to increase your water intake.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
+1 on hydration...start the day before. I usually pit near a restroom, it can be quite a hike at some tracks walking back and forth depending where you pit. Eat light during the day especially if you plan on taking a ride with your instructor. Pay attention at the drivers meeting and most of all to your instructor! Prior to your track weekend become familiar with all flags and some familiarity with the track (watch some video) and pay particular attention to were worker stations are. This will help as you'll be fed a lot of information..the more you already have embedded will help to free you up to enjoy your day even more. You are going to love it!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Jet One has got it so right ----------pit near a restroom. Since there are a ton of guys on here from 50 to 80 that is a really good piece of advice to help us compete with you young whippersnappers. I guess you might call our age group the whipperzippers because I know I for one make sure my pit area is close to a lovely ceramic urinal !!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Jet One has got it so right ----------pit near a restroom. Since there are a ton of guys on here from 50 to 80 that is a really good piece of advice to help us compete with you young whippersnappers. I guess you might call our age group the whipperzippers because I know I for one make sure my pit area is close to a lovely ceramic urinal !!
I always bring an electric scooter. So even if you're not close, you are there and back in a snap! No more "my session starts in 8 minutes, but I gotta pee"! Yes I'm not as young as I used to be. 🤣

First I want to start with that was the MOST FUN I have had with my car ever! Secondly thank you everyone for all the advise! Everything went smooth, my instructor was very Helpful and nice! The run groups were very small which meant a lot track time (about 5 hours over the 2 days) and not much traffic on track! I made sure to stay Hydrated and ate light! Today was the most fun though! My Instructor Let me solo Drive and he even jumped into my group to lead follow me a bit! The car was Felt great all weekend and had no issues! only had some extra pedal travel after being in traffic and then Hitting the straight away.

Get in the habit of doing a quick check of your gauges / lights on a long straight every lap. Autocross runs are short enough (and action-packed enough) that we don't bother looking at gauges. A 20-minute track session is completely different, and not paying attention to coolant temps, idiot lights, etc. can be costly.
I can see how someone could over look that easily I made sure to check them on the front strait and about half was threw the track. only saw the temp get a little high during a heavy traffic area, after I got passed them and out front it cooled right down.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel