The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heading to the strip tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
Going out to the local drag strip tomorrow night for test-n-tune. My goal is to hit an 11.5 at some point this year but I will be happy just to be in the 11s. Got the Hoosier DRs mounted up and ready to go.

A66-3B250AD88F35-6969-000006345DB1CD34_zps7e9bd3d8.jpg

Looks good, Logan. I would like to come out but, working nights... Well It sucks... But, anyway good luck. Hope your going to using your gopro for some videos.

Have fun but don't do any wheelies. ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
whats the height of those slicks? my friend has ran an 11.49 with inch and 7/8" longtube headers and off road x pipe and three inch tail pipes and an axle back. he still has 3.31's but is running 15x10 out back and skinnies up front. he also has a steeda CAI and a tune by SGS out of PA.

so it is possible. I was going to go this weekend but the weather isnt looking so good so instead I am going to install some parts I have been putting off for months.

let us know what it runs.

Tulsa, OK
Olan- Wish you could make it out too but I'll be sure and post up some videos here and on FB

NFSBOSS- Hehehehe no promises ;D

Justin- The tires are 275/60/15 Hoosier drag radials and they are mounted on a set of 15x8 race stars. I'll be sure and report back. No I don't have a line-lock. I just dump the clutch in 2nd gear then hit the brake with my left foot. I'll stay in it until I see a little smoke then roll out of it. From what I've heard/read the Hoosier DRs don't need a John Force burnout, just a little hazing. A line lock would be very nice though. Are you running one?

OK Boss- Thank ya

Justin

roadhouse said:
Olan- Wish you could make it out too but I'll be sure and post up some videos here and on FB

NFSBOSS- Hehehehe no promises ;D

Justin- The tires are 275/60/15 Hoosier drag radials and they are mounted on a set of 15x8 race stars. I'll be sure and report back. No I don't have a line-lock. I just dump the clutch in 2nd gear then hit the brake with my left foot. I'll stay in it until I see a little smoke then roll out of it. From what I've heard/read the Hoosier DRs don't need a John Force burnout, just a little hazing. A line lock would be very nice though. Are you running one?

OK Boss- Thank ya
that puts them at 28" tall or so. I have 28" slicks on my wheels and they are to tall. Let me know how they work out for you.

I have a line lock but havent installed it yet. I do a 2nd gear burnout as well. I just know that it doesn't take many burnouts like that to ruin the back brakes. After you return to the pits feel how hot your wheels are getting.

Tulsa, OK
Justin said:
that puts them at 28" tall or so. I have 28" slicks on my wheels and they are to tall. Let me know how they work out for you.

I have a line lock but havent installed it yet. I do a 2nd gear burnout as well. I just know that it doesn't take many burnouts like that to ruin the back brakes. After you return to the pits feel how hot your wheels are getting.

My first time at the track I ran on some worn out 26 inch radials so I'll be interested to see how these work out. So you think they are too tall? What RPM are you launching at?

Yeah I'm aware of the whole back brake issue. A line-lock is definitely in order if I keep dragging this car.

The dark stars look sweet on your boss!!

Justin

I launch around 5500-6500. Just at the top end of the track it was really a huge drop in rpm and made it that I shifted to 4th very close to the line. I was having clutch issues so it was really hard to tell if this was hindering the car. but I ran the same time my car did stock when I ran it with 27" tall slicks. Same MPH.

Tulsa, OK
Well I made it into the 11s! My best for the night was an 11.8 @ 118 with a 1.7 60ft. She still has some more in her if I could get off the line a little better. Here is a video of the run from inside the car.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/S341FtDzqRs[/youtube]

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
that was a good run! i need to find someone to loan me slicks for the night. i really need to see how deep into the 11's i can go (12.2 on the pirellis), but i can't justify the expense for dragging maybe 2 times a year.

roadhouse said:
Well I made it into the 11s! My best for the night was an 11.8 @ 118 with a 1.7 60ft. She still has some more in her if I could get off the line a little better. Here is a video of the run from inside the car.

Great video. I was surprised to see you weren't holding the shifter when you launched. You looked very comfortable. I don't think I let go of the shifter until I hit 4th. At that speed I want two hands on the wheel. Great time slip as well. Were you using launch control? If yes, what was you rpm and your tire pressure?

Tulsa, OK
Justin- Thanks man! I was leaving around 5k for most of my runs that night. I need to work on slipping the clutch a little more off the line.

Puffer- Thanks, yeah get the GT out there! I love open track driving way more but the drag strip is a blast. Most of the local 5.0 guys in my town only go to the drag strip so I have to go too and show them all up 8)

If you managed an 12.2 on the stockers I'm really curious to see how you would do with some tires! The same night I was out one of my friends with a stock '13 GT with only DR's and skinnies ran a 12.2. The kid can drive!

Seca- Thank ya! It's funny, I posted this on my FB page and lots of people made the same comment about being relaxed too. Just out for a Sunday drive :)

Didn't use launch control as my GT doesn't have it. AdvanceTrac was off. Tire pressure was around 17lbs for this run I believe. No big burnout either, just hazed the tires a bit.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Great run, its not easy banging gears at high RPM.
Im running Darkstars 15x10 with MT drag radials, Bias slicks arent allowed in my class I race in.
My MT are 275s (28) tall.
Ive ran a couple 11s 11.92,[email protected] with 1.65 60fts.
4uhupy5a.jpg

roadhouse said:

Congrats on the 11.80s. It looks like you were just out for a Sunday drive, lol.
Our dragstrip doesn't open until later this month. I'm anxious to make a few passes.
I'm going to try the stock tires first to see how quick I can get it to go.
Then I'm going with the M/T 19" drag radials that I have on a spare set of Boss wheels and see what happens. :)
Are you running a driveshaft loop?

Tulsa, OK
Unreal- Thanks and you're right, it's not easy! I almost purchased the MTs. You have some very impressive times for a stock with tires! Congrats. What is your launch technique to get your 60ft into the 1.6 range?

Brian- Haha thanks! I've never been out on stock tires but with the right technique you can pull some good times. Let us know how the 19" MT radials work out for you. No driveshaft loop. Probably wouldn't hurt to have one though...

TMO Supporting Vendors