The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heel-toe downshifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can any seasoned track junkies or experienced racers give me some advice on how to properly heel-toe when down shifting and entering a corner? Do you use your heel to blip the throttle or do you roll the outter edge of your foot to blip the throttle? Also, what is the sequence of actions in heel-toe downshifting when entering a corner? Thank you for your input.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Re: Heal-toe downshifting

The answer is yes ;)

Some use their heel on the accelerator and toe on the brake pedal to accomplish heel-toe maneuvers. Others use their toe on the brake and roll their foot over so that the side of their foot (right below your small toe) rolls onto the gas for the throttle blip.

Depends on:
1. how big your feet are
2. how close your pedals are
3. which is more comfortable
4. pedal mounting

I use the second method as the M3 pedal is attached at the floor and it felt awkward to have my heel high enough to blip the throttle (so, after 10 years, that became more comfortable for me). The pedals in the mustang are slightly further apart with the accelerator mounted higher, so I will either start using my heel <or> make the pedal wider.

When we were at Track Attack, Joe Foster had us noobs using the outside of the foot to blip the throttle. Easier for me with my size 13 skis. ;D

I still don't have it down 100% but did practice it at Laguna Seca.

2012YellowBoss said:
I roll the side of my foot to the accelerator, works sometimes ::)
Yep. ;D

You can either get a wider throttle or get a wider brake pedal. A Boss owner local to me uses a wider brake pedal and I'm probably going that route.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=64_175

http://www.srpracing.com/pd-mustang-2005-racing-pedals.cfm

If you could extend the brake pedal just a bit towards the gas it would go a long way. Just don't ever want to accidentally hit it hammerin' down!

Fat Boss said:
If you could extend the brake pedal just a bit towards the gas it would go a long way. Just don't ever want to accidentally hit it hammerin' down!
What my friend did was get a 1" wider brake pedal that's centered so it sticks out a 1/2" on either side compared to stock. I've driven his car and that should be enough for my snow skis.

Do you think it was an automatic trans brake pedal? When I converted the Pelican from an auto to a stick the brake pedal got narrow with the other pedal assy. Of course that was 48 years ago that it was mfg'd!

I use my toe on the brake, side of foot on the throttle. Never had any problems with this on any stick shift I have driven and my feet are normal sized 10.5. Everyone is different though but The peddles are fine on the Boss to me but a lot of people complained about the E46 m3 peddles and I thought they were perfect. I would say practice a lot and buy peddles when you determine that it is holding you back.

Like the others above I roll the outside edge of my foot and use right behind the toe to hit the throttle because that's how I'm built. If you are more pigeon toed it might be easier to blip with your heel. The ball of my foot is on the center right of the brake. To sequence, get on the brake hard clutch in and wait until late in the straight part of the braking zone before blipping and taking your hand off the wheel to make your shift. This lowers the engine revs needed on your blip and keeps two hands on the wheel longer. I then stay progressively lighter on the brake trail braking to the apex. Late braking in the braking zone and trail braking are more advanced maneuvers so make sure you have it down braking early and doing most of your braking in a straight line before moving toward this.

Thank you all for the good tips. I'm a short guy and I wear shoes ranging from 8-9. I've tried using the outter edge of my foot to roll onto the throttle but I don't think I have enough "foot" to properly brake and blip the throttle at the same time. I'm going to do some experimenting to see what technique best fits me.

cloud9 said:
Like the others above I roll the outside edge of my foot and use right behind the toe to hit the throttle because that's how I'm built. If you are more pigeon toed it might be easier to blip with your heel. The ball of my foot is on the center right of the brake. To sequence, get on the brake hard clutch in and wait until late in the straight part of the braking zone before blipping and taking your hand off the wheel to make your shift. This lowers the engine revs needed on your blip and keeps two hands on the wheel longer. I then stay progressively lighter on the brake trail braking to the apex. Late braking in the braking zone and trail braking are more advanced maneuvers so make sure you have it down braking early and doing most of your braking in a straight line before moving toward this.

Thank you for the sequence! That helps a lot!

I like using a firm brake pedal connection first so that I make sure I can be hard on the brakes when braking at the 1 or 2.... Typically due to my foot size 10.5 I find it easier to pigeon toe in and blip with my heel or outer side fo the foot. When I was first trying to learn this technique, I went off the track a few times by focusing on the shift too much and not slowing the car enough. Now I focus on major slowing first then the shifting. I think the boss is set up really well for heel toe and like the position of the pedals.

I've tried it both ways, moving the heel over takes longer IMHO. i roll the outside of the foot over to hit the throttle simpoly by sort of slinging the leg over makes for a very fast shift and smooth shift. i had a problem with my foot slipping off the brake though on several track days. i ordered these, fixed the problem.

http://www.srpracing.com/pd-mustang-2005-racing-pedals.cfm

I have to get used to the larger pedals though, i found my self still on the gas and brake a few times without realizing it the first day out with them.

Heres the low down.Good luck .Practice it while driving carefully on the street.
http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/heel-toe-shifting.htm#axzz1kVLNAUi0

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roketman said:
Heres the low down.Good luck .Practice it while driving carefully on the street.
http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/heel-toe-shifting.htm#axzz1kVLNAUi0

That's how I do it as well (as if that meant anything! :) )

TMO Supporting Vendors