The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Heel-toe downshifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i bought the machined ones. with my piloti's on, the machined have tons of grip, i was afraid the textured ones would be harder to move quickly on. i like they way the textured look better, but i am very happy i got the machined version.

Typically you'll find you have better control over the timing and espcially the amount of blip if you use more of a knee movement left to right as opposed to actually rolling your ankle. Kind of picture Elvis on stage moving that right knee to the music. Large muscles are easier to control, especially when the adrenelin is flowing, than small muscles. Picked up the technique years ago racing the Skip Barber 2 litre series. Been doing it that way ever since. Even works well in a tighter space like my Formula Mazda. I have Ultimate Pedals in my 06 but I find the factory pedals in my LS are just fine.

RRMotorsports said:
Typically you'll find you have better control over the timing and espcially the amount of blip if you use more of a knee movement left to right as opposed to actually rolling your ankle. Kind of picture Elvis on stage moving that right knee to the music. Large muscles are easier to control, especially when the adrenelin is flowing, than small muscles. Picked up the technique years ago racing the Skip Barber 2 litre series. Been doing it that way ever since. Even works well in a tighter space like my Formula Mazda. I have Ultimate Pedals in my 06 but I find the factory pedals in my LS are just fine.
Thanks for that tip and welcome to BMO. What is RRMotorsports?

RRMotorsports said:

yeah, that is what i do, its more a flick of the leg than a move of the ankle alone.

RRMotorsports said:
Typically you'll find you have better control over the timing and espcially the amount of blip if you use more of a knee movement left to right as opposed to actually rolling your ankle.

Thanks for the good advise! I found this out earlier this week by accident while on the street (really need to read some more racing tip books). I was going to try it on the track before saying anything since I did not how well it would work. Seems easier then what I was doing and so far working well on the street. One big advantage I found is I did not over rev the engine when doing it this way.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel