The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hello 2021 Mach I - Goodbye GT350 and Bullitt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We have seen an increase in requests for the GT 350 since this rumor came out and in fact we only have a Blue one ( with the leather seats and tech package ) in stock. Otherwise everything else incoming ( at present) is sold except for a Heritage Edition GT 350 we just ordered. Pushing to get more allocated since we have sold a bunch of Mustangs of late, but it appears now that the rumor is likely true. I hope it isn't but the GT 350 went on longer than many expected and Ford usually likes to keep special builds reasonably short .

The Mach 1 will most likely have the same 480 HP engine in the Bullitt.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Best post in years -------------get rid of the M80 , no more boom - boom and great shifting for the high revving 5.0/5.2!!!
I know I’m in the minority on this issue...but there is nothing wrong with the MT-82.

The bulk of problems come from the remote mount shifter assembly and the Boss clutch. And I know that exactly what’s wrong with those.

I believe much of the rest come from user error, for which many are just willing to blame the equipment.

If the tranny itself was a problem, I surely would have broken one by now. And I have two.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It was good for my good buddy George Ciamillo at MGW, as his short throw shift kit was an absolute necessity if you had an MT-82. I would have to agree that in this case you are in the minority Grant ,as the concerns with the MT-82 were epidemic even with talented drivers. I will admit the constant upgrades have made it a much better tranny, today, but the Tremec is on a completely different level. We have to go back and remember in the Boss promo videos , the prototypes were running T6060s and it came down to a money issue , which after all the concerns it would have been smart to add a small amount to the price and use the transmission built for the Viper and Vette.

We saw guys coming into the shop with the weirdest problems ( myself and a good friend both had to have 5th gear replaced ) and that was not one that ever saw a quick shift. Constant complaints of a grind in second when cold did not bother me , as that was not unusual with many cars I had over the years and I had a habit of waiting for all trannies to get warm. But replacing second for others was no surprise.

Overall the issue was seeing so many folks in the shop at many Ford Stores , but again I have to clarify it is seldom the case now. Still , would love to see the T6060 or T3060 in future Mustangs besides the Shelbys, as they are just a much beefier and reliable transmission--- besides taking more heat on the track.

Signed,

A Die Hard Tremec Fan

Grant 302

I agree the Tremec options are better and stronger. I would certainly have paid more to have one in either car. And perhaps would have survived the clutch issue better.

'Very talented' drivers can still be hard on parts like synchros and talent can only do so much for the shifter linkage deficiencies. And nobody can escape the clutch issue once it shows up. Gentle driving isn't gonna escape either/any of those issues too. And I forgot to mention one of the other culprits...the spring assist pedal assembly.

Anyway, my main point is still that there's nothing inherently wrong with the MT-82. But Ford did screw up completely with almost all the supporting hardware. The MT-82 just got all the blame.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree there were other items , but overall a pretty weak system. I think part of the issue with the clutch was that folks seldom changed the fluid. I raced both my 12 and 13 with no problems, but I changed the clutch fluid with religious fervor. I did get my 2012 from someone else and the 5th gear went out quite soon after, and was amazed me how many others had problems with that gear -- just weird in my mind.

Grant 302

Fluid and sharing of the brake reservoir is one more problem I left off the list, but again, is another issue that confuses most on the actual issue. Ditto with the whole hydraulic side, lines, etc.

The actual problem with the clutch is that the diaphragm spring fingers aren't strong enough to consistently release the pressure plate. And this condition gets worse with heat and RPM.

The real proof is that all these problems go away 100% with just a clutch change. Almost nobody comes to that conclusion, because they changed one or more other items, and they believe that those items 'helped' reduce the issue. Nobody likes thinking they spent all that extra money and effort on nothing.

Fluid and sharing of the brake reservoir is one more problem I left off the list, but again, is another issue that confuses most on the actual issue. Ditto with the whole hydraulic side, lines, etc.

The actual problem with the clutch is that the diaphragm spring fingers aren't strong enough to consistently release the pressure plate. And this condition gets worse with heat and RPM.

The real proof is that all these problems go away 100% with just a clutch change. Almost nobody comes to that conclusion, because they changed one or more other items, and they believe that those items 'helped' reduce the issue. Nobody likes thinking they spent all that extra money and effort on nothing.

So you’re saying i should have kept my mt-82 with mantic dual clutch in my 1200hp twin turbo car?.....and not swapped to a built 6r80?

Is that what you think I’m saying?

Im kidding....althought i did have a serious convo with the owner of LPF about how long the mt-82 would last with the mantic clutch, mgw shifter, bg fluid...to which his response was......’’id be surprised if it lasted on the dyno when tuning’’

But fathouse fab uses the stock tremec in there 1000rwhp gt350 builds just with a triple disk clutch.

I know I’m in the minority on this issue...but there is nothing wrong with the MT-82.

The bulk of problems come from the remote mount shifter assembly and the Boss clutch. And I know that exactly what’s wrong with those.

I believe much of the rest come from user error, for which many are just willing to blame the equipment.

If the tranny itself was a problem, I surely would have broken one by now. And I have two.
I agree the clutch was the main issue. I sure wish Ford had stepped up and upgraded everyone's clutches but that issue is long gone now... One good thing with the MT-82 is the gear ratios were very good for track work..

Grant 302

I agree the clutch was the main issue. I sure wish Ford had stepped up and upgraded everyone's clutches but that issue is long gone now... One good thing with the MT-82 is the gear ratios were very good for track work..
Just wish I figured out the *exact* problem earlier.

And sadly, yes the ship has long since sailed for getting Ford to replace it. My Boss turns 9 in Oct.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My biggest beef with the MT-82 is it is effectively a 3 speed gearbox for just about every track I run. With 3.73s I am bumping the rev limiter all over the place even in 5th, shifting to 6th is a major bog. 1st is also useless and 2nd almost as useless. At some point in time I'll probably end up going to 3.55s which will help a lot I think.

I've had good luck with all three of my MT82's. My first Boss was perfect, even with the stock clutch. My second Boss was perfect with the RST clutch. My Shelby is perfect with whatever clutch is in there, and probably has an aftermarket shifter.

As for the Mach 1, how come we're not seeing any teasing from Ford about it? Are they worried about impacting the final GT350 sales?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel