The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hello from ND

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max5ive0 said:
I got BMR relo brackets because they can be adjusted. If you doing road race you might want your arms higher than if you are drag racing. I like the ability to change. They are sturdy as they come IMO too.

You are talking about lower control arm relocation correct?

Yes, with the BMR's there are 3 holes in the bracket to attach the control arm to. I have the boss lowering springs too and by my judgement the highest hole in the BMR bracket seems to give the control arm the same angle as with the stock springs and stock control arm mount. If i were serious about drag racing and running DR's or slicks i would be able to mount the control arm lower in the bracket

NDBOSS302 said:
Wow, thanks for the info. Probably the closest that I know of only 600 something miles away.
Just hop on I-29 and you can caravan down with the Sioux Falls group ;) We're running a practice event 5/22-5/24 that you guys should consider. Heck you're closer than John from the Twin Cities (LS110) and we put it together just for him :D

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6995.0

In fact, George is kicking us off on Saturday afternoon for another private event for a bunch of guys from......North Dakota 8)

drano38

Wayne
Welcome to BMO from the I-29 corridor!
The Brainerd MN road course track is awesome, and an easy 3-4 hour drive for you. And its about 6 for me and 7 for the Sioux Falls SD guys.
The Northstar BMW club out of St Paul does a driving school in early June, and open to all. I've done it twice up there, and is a great way to learn a road course.
Once you're hooked, we'll see you at the MPH Roundup in September in Hastings NE!
If you're looking for other ND Boss owners, there's a '12 LS in the Minot area.

Welcome. My dad was stationed in Grand Forks when I was 5. I remember 7 foot snow drifts and my dad having to break windows and shovel snow in our house to get out. Hope you can drive her more than 6 months of the year ;)

drano38 said:
Welcome to BMO from the I-29 corridor!
The Brainerd MN road course track is awesome, and an easy 3-4 hour drive for you. And its about 6 for me and 7 for the Sioux Falls SD guys.
The Northstar BMW club out of St Paul does a driving school in early June, and open to all. I've done it twice up there, and is a great way to learn a road course.
Once you're hooked, we'll see you at the MPH Roundup in September in Hastings NE!
If you're looking for other ND Boss owners, there's a '12 LS in the Minot area.

I knew about Brainerd but was unsure of their requirements for roll cages and such. I will not be doing any work to the interior besides the rear seat delete. If work allows I am going to do my best to get to the NE roundup.

Darth Boss said:
Welcome. My dad was stationed in Grand Forks when I was 5. I remember 7 foot snow drifts and my dad having to break windows and shovel snow in our house to get out. Hope you can drive her more than 6 months of the year ;)

I bought the car in December 2012 and really didnt drive it much the first summer, think I put 1200 miles on it. The snow amounts havent been bad since I moved up here in 2009. Mainly just the cold and the wind. The large drifts are still an issue but mainly depend on the way your house is facing. I went to UND for a couple years and one of my science classes went into home positioning in relation to the high winds of the area.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Hello, North Dakota. Just reading about the boom going on back there. Housing shortage and jobs everywhere ? Sounds great except for the weather. But we are weather wimps here in Seattle. We think 40 degrees and rain is winter.
I was suggesting the Ford Boss or "T" springs as Ford claims you do not need to do any other mods for the springs. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22408. Get the springs installed on the car get it aligned and you are done.
If you want to add the panhard would be first, followed by the lower control arms and relocation brackets. Dampers , camber plates , upper control arm , and on. If you want to keep the ride nice and you are just on the street with the car. I would start with the T springs and you can add as needed after. I really like the Whiteline products , you can see them here
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141 Also really like the Vorshlag/Bilstein package.
Oh, you had asked about a one piece drive line. I have not done that ,but others on here have. Just use the search for discussion on that.
Good luck with your mods.

Domestic Product said:
Hello, North Dakota. Just reading about the boom going on back there. Housing shortage and jobs everywhere ? Sounds great except for the weather. But we are weather wimps here in Seattle. We think 40 degrees and rain is winter.
I was suggesting the Ford Boss or "T" springs as Ford claims you do not need to do any other mods for the springs. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22408. Get the springs installed on the car get it aligned and you are done.
If you want to add the panhard would be first, followed by the lower control arms and relocation brackets. Dampers , camber plates , upper control arm , and on. If you want to keep the ride nice and you are just on the street with the car. I would start with the T springs and you can add as needed after. I really like the Whiteline products , you can see them here
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141 Also really like the Vorshlag/Bilstein package.
Oh, you had asked about a one piece drive line. I have not done that ,but others on here have. Just use the search for discussion on that.
Good luck with your mods.

Yep, those were the springs I was looking into. Still not sure if I can get away with simply the springs and an alignment.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
NDBOSS302 said:
I knew about Brainerd but was unsure of their requirements for roll cages and such. I will not be doing any work to the interior besides the rear seat delete. If work allows I am going to do my best to get to the NE roundup.

Welcome to BMO. Lots of great folks on this site. Tons of knowledge and experience that you won't find elsewhere. I'd highly recommend BIR if you can swing it. Just make sure you get a track insurance policy and maybe your own DOT approved helmet. They'll hook you up with an instructor.....very worthwhile since it will also help your within legal limits street driving.

Forty miles north of St. Paul??? Where did you grow up? I grew up in Forest Lake....now live in Willmar :(.

Wayne

Senderofan said:
Forty miles north of St. Paul??? Where did you grow up? I grew up in Forest Lake....now live in Willmar :(.

Wayne

Just north of you in Lindstrom....small world, I just guessed on the distance from St. Paul figured it was around 40...

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
NDBOSS302 said:
Just north of you in Lindstrom....small world, I just guessed on the distance from St. Paul figured it was around 40...

Cool....one set of my grandparents lived there....great town!! Loved eating at the Dinner Bell...not sure it's still there or not.

Still recommend you try and get your Boss up to BIR. You Will be amazed at what she's capable of. It will cure any curiosity about opening it up on the street. These things can get up and boogie....handle and brake!

Wayne

drano38

Wayne
NDBOSS302 said:

Only mod a club will generally require for road course driving would be new brake fluid within the last 6 months. ATE Super Blue (its blue) or ATE TYP200 (same stuff but yellow color) is a great DOT4 fluid that a lot of us use. Some clubs also have their own safety tech form to fill out, but these are basic condition such as brakes, abnormal wear, etc. Install improved brake pads, and you're ready for your first track day. More mods will follow once you're hooked.

Here's North Star BMW club's web page. They're generally at Brainerd the first weekend of June.
http://apex.northstarbmw.org/pls/apex/f?p=pub:home:0

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK, perfect. For the street I would stop suspension wise. You will love the new stance. Unless you plan on getting on a track the rest can wait.

NDBOSS302 said:
Ended up going with the T springs and the FR adjustable panhard bar...

Installed the lowering springs, panhard bar, rear seat delete and the shifter today... The shifter, even though its an FR via Barton and not a MGW makes a huge difference. The lowering springs and panhard bar are nice as well but I will have to get used to the rigidness / stiffness (thats what she said). However the stance alone is worth it.

TMO Supporting Vendors