The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hello - New to the Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I didn't see an introduction forum, so I thought I'd drop it here. I've been lurking for a few months but now I have some questions I'd like to ask of people and thought it would help to introduce myself. I will probably ask my questions in different threads.

I run HPDE group 3 with NASA Central Region and the KCRPCA. My primary track is Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka, KS.

My mods are as follows:
1)Ford Racing Pre-assembled suspension with springs/shocks/struts/sway bars/adjustable panhard bars
2) Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plate w/ 2.3 degrees negative camber
3) LMR GT 350 replica wheel 19x10 all around with P285/35R19 Toyo R888R tires
4) Factory type Brembo front brakes with DBA 4000 series rotors and Carbotech 12 pads
5) Rear brakes are 13-14 GT 500 14" upgrade using stock caliper with DBA 4000 series rotors and Carbotech 10 pads
6) Stainless steel flex lines from calipers to chassis hard mount
7) GT 500 clutch master cylinder with braided stainless clutch slave cylinder line
8) Amsoil Dominator DOT 4 Racking Brake Fluid w/580 degree dry boiling point
6) U.S. Gear 3.73 installed with a Torsen T2R differential with a TBR of 4
7) Unleashed Tuning SCT X4 tuner for 93 Octane (Supposedly a +25 hp
8) Hooker BlackHeart Axle Back kit

IMG_3472_Small.jpg

Jayhawk. I saw you OnTrack at Heartland a few months back. I have the blue Boss.
Welcome.
Are you going to the Roundup this weekend?

I remember seeing you there at the NASA event. That was a good weekend!

Not planning on the roundup this weekend no. This past weekend I ran at Heartland with the PCA and ran into oil temp issues. That's a topic I wanted to ask some questions on. On Saturday it went into limp mode for a portion of the track, and then it came back out of limp mode. On Sunday I did some data logging and found out my oil temp "Inferred oil temp" max was 302.9 degrees which is obviously high and I'm guesting why it went into limp mode. I'm looking into cooler options and din't know f the Ford Performance on that plumbs into the lower radiator hoe worked well or not.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Jayhawk --- get over to www.racemph.com for 3-4 days of Track stuff with fellow Mustang guys! Look up the Mustang Roundup and it would fit your needs completely , since I saw you at Heartland Park , also , and I know you are a confirmed track rat. There will be 6-7 Ford Engineers at the event , racing their own cars and we always get the lowdown on future stuff -- hmmm, GT 500 ?!

Hastings is not that far away, and though I live in Nebraska now, I am a big KU Basketball Fan ( lived in Kansas for 30 years ). This is coming up starting Thursday of this week, though most run Friday and Saturday, , getting in late on Thursday. Sunday also has track time, though not as intense.

Congrats and sign up and get those other Mustang buddies you were running with to come also!! Perfect for what you have been doing as the event has timed runs.

Jayhawk --- get over to www.racemph.com for 3-4 days of Track stuff with fellow Mustang guys! Look up the Mustang Roundup and it would fit your needs completely , since I saw you at Heartland Park , also , and I know you are a confirmed track rat. There will be 6-7 Ford Engineers at the event , racing their own cars and we always get the lowdown on future stuff -- hmmm, GT 500 ?!

Hastings is not that far away, and though I live in Nebraska now, I am a big KU Basketball Fan ( lived in Kansas for 30 years ). This is coming up starting Thursday of this week, though most run Friday and Saturday, , getting in late on Thursday. Sunday also has track time, though not as intense.

Congrats and sign up and get those other Mustang buddies you were running with to come also!! Perfect for what you have been doing as the event has timed runs.

I was just at Hastings last month for the NASA event. It's a really fun track! Unfortunately due to other responsibilities, I can't make it this weekend. I will put it on my calendar for next year (assuming it is annually?).

I've been a Jayhawk for a long time! Finishing up my 2nd degree from KU this fall, so I've given them plenty of dough over the years. Basketball can't get here soon enough as football season has become such a drag every year.

Dang I was there too and must have missed you , or at least I was definitely not social enough, ha,ha. Maybe will see you at RPM or Heartland Park later this year?

I was hiding in the back. I do most of my track time with the Rennsport KC crowd, so I'm always hidden amongst a bunch of Prosches! I may do NASA at RPM next month if I can get an oil cooler set up between now and then.

I'm also looking at other car options moving forward to next year. I may sell this and move to a caged track prepped S197. Speculation at this point though :)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Funny , as I was over there some, since I had Karl work on my Boss 302S ( he figured out a problem everyone else was baffled with , and it was actually quite simple). There is a SCCA Time Trial coming up in a couple of weeks at RPM, and then two more events in October and November with NASA. I will likely park close to RennsportKC when at the NASA events , also, so definitely come and say hi!!

Funny , as I was over there some, since I had Karl work on my Boss 302S ( he figured out a problem everyone else was baffled with , and it was actually quite simple). There is a SCCA Time Trial coming up in a couple of weeks at RPM, and then two more events in October and November with NASA. I will likely park close to RennsportKC when at the NASA events , also, so definitely come and say hi!!

You probably saw me then. I spent most of my time hanging at the camper/trailer with Karl, Aaron, Mike etc... I'm the short chubby bald guy :)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I met you at Heartland , I was the guy who gave you my card and suggested you make it to the Mustang Roundup, but I was having electrical gremlins in the AIM system then -- was racing , not doing time trials. Karl figured out the system was fine, just need to relocated my oil pressure sensor as it was getting wacky readings since it was too close to the header. Car ran well in Hastings and no weird alarms for -3.5 lbs of oil pressure ,ha. Moved the sensor and never ran low on pressure, and the car still stayed barely over 200 even in the races on a hot day. I like Karl , too, ha,ha!!! I am the guy who used to be short, chubby and bald -- now I am just short and bald.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Jayhawk

I kept the Boss oil cooler and added a Setrab cooler. There are several links on here regarding the install. One of the members here makes a bracket to mount the cooler.
Some of the guys here removed the ford cooler and have gone with the air to oil coolers only. Lots of good reading regarding coolers.
If you would like to take a look at the install, send me a PM.

TMO Supporting Vendors