The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmet fit >>>>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought 2 helmets, a large and an extra large. (G-force phenom)
When i measured I fall in between the 2.
The large feels tight like it is compressing the top of my head and fits good along the cheeks.
The extra large feel comfortable and not squeezing on the top but feels a little loose on the cheeks.
What should a properly fitting helmet fit like?
Thanks
and before anyone asks, this is not my family photo haha
41OJJERu7TL_zpsla73ke8e.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^LOL. That's only because you have sons! ;)

If the pads are removable or interchangeable, I'd suggest getting the XL, and buying a set of L cheek pads and swapping them in. You should be able to check since you have both in hand.

Different helmet manufacturers fit differently. I haven't tried G-Force, but tried Bell and HJC. Found the Bell to be too wide fitting for my head (similar to what you're finding with the G-Force), but the HJC fit just right. Since you have the large, you might try what Grant is suggesting if the pads are removable. The shells may actually be the same size.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
As mentioned, see if there are interchangeable pads that can be swapped out. Also if you don't wear a balaclava now, you might try wearing one and see if that takes up some of the slack.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
Yes, there are 2 primary shapes to deal with, round and oval. In the motorcycling world we figured out that was a big difference between the Arai helmets and the Shoei brands. Some heads were better for one than the other. The front pressure with the wrong shape can cause headaches to say the least.

Bay Area
Your helmet should fit snug. It will break in over time. If the cheek pads are to snug then you should be able to swap them out. If you want a good helmet fit go to your local motorcycle shop and ask them about helmet fit and head shapes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel