The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmet Recomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
my birst event will be HOD in NJ April 12, doing track atack and others, what is a good helmet that will pass muster but be the least intrusive, do you guys have preferences.

M

Really like the G-Force modified full face... combines best of both open and closed face design... reasonable cost, good full-face protection, HANS compatible, comfortable and cooler than a closed visor helmet in a "closed" cockpit car on a hot day.... http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/GForceModifiedFullFaceHelmet/FullFaceHelmets

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
The most important thing to me, next to safety, is comfort. Everyone has different sized / shaped heads. If you are going to be spending a lot of time in a helmet, make sure you get one that fits and is comfortable.

I wear Bell helmets because they fit me and are comfortable to me. G-Force helmets give me headaches because they don't fit my head shape. Simpson's are better fitting (for me) than the G-Force, but overall, not as comfortable as the Bell.

My advice:

1. Buy an SA helmet as most clubs are moving to them (if not there already)
2. Try on different helmets to see which is more comfortable.... some of the on-line retailers have awesome return policies, so if you can't find a local shop that you can use to try on different brands, check on-line. I use SafeRacer and have always gotten excellent service and pricing.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
JScheier said:
The most important thing to me, next to safety, is comfort. Everyone has different sized / shaped heads. If you are going to be spending a lot of time in a helmet, make sure you get one that fits and is comfortable.

I wear Bell helmets because they fit me and are comfortable to me. G-Force helmets give me headaches because they don't fit my head shape. Simpson's are better fitting (for me) than the G-Force, but overall, not as comfortable as the Bell.

My advice:

1. Buy an SA helmet as most clubs are moving to them (if not there already)
2. Try on different helmets to see which is more comfortable.... some of the on-line retailers have awesome return policies, so if you can't find a local shop that you can use to try on different brands, check on-line. I use SafeRacer and have always gotten excellent service and pricing.

The US made helmets run fuller and work better for me also. I currently have an HJC carbon-fiber which I love and is very comfortable, but even it is a little smaller (actually shorter top to bottom) than the US helmets.

And BTW, the group buy I'm trying to get together for the Bell M.4 and Sport beats the SafeRacer price, even with their free shipping.

-Pete

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
PeteInCT said:
And BTW, the group buy I'm trying to get together for the Bell M.4 and Sport beats the SafeRacer price, even with their free shipping.
-Pete

I actually run the Bell BR-1. I used to run the M4... very good and comfortable helmet.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I really didn't have the funds and. bought this open face helmet, its Snell 2010 but not SA,
I wanted the open face because I kept bending my glasses with a enclosed helmet, and the heat was terrible. I cant run AC because water drips on the track.
http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?productid=53

There are basically two types of rated helmets: M for motorcycle, and SA for Automobile. The way I think of it is that M provides less fire protection ; it has to do good enough to protect your melon in a motorcycle wipeout. M also seems to be less expensive, and seemingly offers more color and graphics selections.

Your track group may require an SA helmet; you should check so you don't get surprised on track day.

SA regulations get updated every five years, so the current helmets are rated SA 2010. Pyrotect has a sale on closeout SA 2005, but again, your track group should indicate what is acceptable. (I think my local groups go back two generations, so SA 2005 is acceptable. )

Good luck and have fun! :) :)

via thumb power from my Pantech Discover

MGCurry said:
my birst event will be HOD in NJ April 12, doing track atack and others, what is a good helmet that will pass muster but be the least intrusive, do you guys have preferences.

M

I really like the Simpson open face. It has the right certifications and is very light. A little spendy but worth it.

TMO Supporting Vendors