The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmet Recommendations Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
any of you guys wear glasses? I always have a hard time finding a helmet that allows me to wear my glasses without them pressing into my head or so tight I cant get them to sit on my nose right.
I wear sunglasses inside my Bell M4 with no issues.
thats good info. I really like the simpson bandit helmet but dont want to lay the coin down if I am going to hate it cause my glasses dont fit right. anyone have/had one of those and had the glasses/sunglasses fit ok?

I have the bandit and glasses, it fits fine but I have small glasses. Usually I run it with the shield removed and either my glasses or rx sunglasses depending how bright it is. But you should really try one on before you buy if possible, I tried a bunch before finding one that fit my head shape well.

If you know motorcycle helmets, my head shape works well with Shoei X11s, ok with RF1100, and pretty much nothing else. So if those fit you, the Bandit might.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
I have the bandit and glasses, it fits fine but I have small glasses. Usually I run it with the shield removed and either my glasses or rx sunglasses depending how bright it is. But you should really try one on before you buy if possible, I tried a bunch before finding one that fit my head shape well.

If you know motorcycle helmets, my head shape works well with Shoei X11s, ok with RF1100, and pretty much nothing else. So if those fit you, the Bandit might.
my cousin has a HJC black chrome looking helmet that fits me with glasses. I dont know where to go to look at helmets that arent the cheap ones. never seen a place around here with simpson helmets on the shelf.

I live about an hour from Infineon which has a decent little store with gear, maybe a local track has one too. However, I bought my helmet at an NHRA race. Any sort of big race you go to should have vendors with gear to sell or try on. My gf works for them so she was able to get me the racer discount from as vendor. You don't want the ones that are testers, if you go that route have them ship you a fresh one, because just like in stores the testers have probably been dropped a few times. And at least with MC helmets, if it has been dropped from even like a foot, it is technically "damaged"

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My son sporting the freshly delivered HJC SI-12 SA2010 Super Lite Racing Helmet. This one is carbon composite (vs. Carbon Fiber which was $200 more, not any lighter and not in stock) I'll install the Chatterbox electronics andn pretend it's an $1800 Stilo ;D

IMG958577.jpg

Hmmm... ;D

GeordiLaForge.jpg
IMG958577.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
That gives new meaning to "What'sa behind me is of no importance !", add 'on the side of me' or 'anything very close to my bumper' to that also...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Saferacer is a good place to look and keep in mind that just like light rims ( unsprung weight ) is good for the Boss, a lightweight SA2010 is good for your noggin. Surprising how sore your neck can get with an inexpensive , heavy helmet , so do a little research and keep in mind the more expensive headbuckets may be less tiring.

For the guy with glasses, I too wear them, so look for a helmet with a bigger opening and just take off the visor. My suggestion to all is to get a full face helmet, regardless.

Once you get sponsored, there will be banners blocking off the big visual field anyways ;D

Light helmets in theory are better than heavy ones, even when testing they make allowances for more energy transfer in the heavier ones. I'm not sure the difference is significant considering how much the head inside it weighs and have had heavy bike helmets before, but most people seem to agree with Bill about lighter being less tiring.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
PeteInCT said:
My son sporting the freshly delivered HJC SI-12 SA2010 Super Lite Racing Helmet. This one is carbon composite (vs. Carbon Fiber which was $200 more, not any lighter and not in stock) I'll install the Chatterbox electronics andn pretend it's an $1800 Stilo ;D

IMG958577.jpg

Update: Helmet feels to be abut 1/2 the weight of my older Bell M4. The size does run a little smaller than the Bell but not enough to require the next size up. Very comfortable. Installation of the Chatterbox electronics was very easy once I discovered that the front face padding was removable. Field of view is very good, comparable to my M4.

discoveryparts.com for all your safety and trackside equipment! Talk to Ron the owner. Tell him Adam from Savannah with the Boss LS and GT-R sent you.... I have a Pyrotech helmet. Very happy with the weight, breathability, can wear sunglasses/glasses, and price!

It was G-Force that got their FIA certs yanked a few years ago because they were fake right? I saw an ad for their helmets that said it was the only one that passed the fire tests when independently tested or something like that and had a lol

My GF had to buy all new gear because of it, everything but her helmet which was Simpson, since she works fire crew at NHRA.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
adam81 said:
I have a Pyrotech helmet. Very happy with the weight, breathability, can wear sunglasses/glasses, and price!

+1 for the Pyrotect. Not sure I can fit glasses in mine, but I prefer a tighter fit.

6986475869_4bf350663c_n.jpg

Whatever brand you choose, I would recommend one with removable padding.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel