The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmet Recommendations Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Hello,
I am planning on signing up for a drivers school here in Michigan at Waterford Hills. I know they have helmets that they let you borrow, but I am planning on going out to the track 2 or 3 times per year and thought about purchasing my own helmet. Any recommedations for comfort, price and other considerations?
Thanks,
Brian

Find a place that has helmets in stock and try them on. Comfort is the most important thing imo, various tests have shown that more expensive does not always mean better protection. Usually they use better liners, lighter, better ventilation etc. So try a bunch on, figure out what you are comfortable spending and go from there.

I use a Simpson Bandit but mostly because it fits my head which is rare. I also like how the jaw is further forward than normal shaped helmets, as I have a big chin.

I have a new Bell M4 that replaced my out of Snell date Simpson Voyager. I liked the fit of my Simpson better than the Bell.

IMG_0474.jpg

I just ordered the HJC CL-16. Pretty cheap $116-$150ish. Its Snell 2010 rated also. Ive heard from a few people I know that have it and say its pretty comfortable.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Boss240 said:
I just ordered the HJC CL-16. Pretty cheap $116-$150ish. Its Snell 2010 rated also. Ive heard from a few people I know that have it and say its pretty comfortable.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/

M2010 only?

Would that helmet be good for drag racing cuz the reason I ordered is people said that they had used that helmet at Atco Raceway for dragging their cars? If I can use it to drag than Ill keep it and if I decide to do anything else have a second helmet. What do you guys think?

Boss240 said:
Would that helmet be good for drag racing cuz the reason I ordered is people said that they had used that helmet at Atco Raceway for dragging their cars? If I can use it to drag than Ill keep it and if I decide to do anything else have a second helmet. What do you guys think?
You'll need to check with the track. Most road courses require a SA rating.

I would only use a SA rated helmet. They are fire rated / tested were M helmet are not.
Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:
. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
. SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
. SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

I recently got one of these. It's much lighter that the HJC it's replacing.

http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/zeronine-z9-apx-helmet-review.html

6a00d83455aeb969e2014e610fa067970c-800wi.jpg

Snell M helmets use the double hit rebar test, thus use very stiff shells. Looking at the SA 2010 regs, it looks like they only do a single rebar test. Thus the basic design of an M is probably not as good for a car, as the chance of a double rebar hit is probably almost zero (leaving alone data that show it is almost zero for bikes too) and harder shells transfer more energy in a more concentrated area. I would use an SA helmet if you can just for that reason.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
any of you guys wear glasses? I always have a hard time finding a helmet that allows me to wear my glasses without them pressing into my head or so tight I cant get them to sit on my nose right.

TMO Supporting Vendors