The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Helmet science

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW most HDPE and race organizations don't allow DOT helmets and require Snell 2010 and newer tested helmets.

reading this article immediately worried me :)
I own a AGV K3 helmet. italian base company I personally believe one of the top, AGV is only DOT and ECE here in US.

So I digged a little more an
https://www.revzilla.com/agv-helmets-faq-frequently-asked-questionsd I found this :

Specifically :

why aren’t AGV helmets SNELL certified? Are they not as good?

There are many different certification standards, including SNELL, SHARP, DOT, ECE, AUS, and others. While all strive to offer the best benchmark for protecting their wearer, they achieve this result in slightly different ways. SNELL tends to concentrate more on the anti-puncture properties of a helmet and ultimate protection in a single crash, whereas SHARP focuses more on energy dispersion and the continued protection of a helmet shell through multiple impacts.

The two also test impacts at different angles, SNELL focusing on perpendicular impacts, while SHARP on oblique. Though both are excellent brands of safety, they are also mutually exclusive. In order to successfully pass one angle of tests, a helmet will often fail one or two of a different standard’s tests and vice-versa. AGV aligns more with the SHARP approach to safety and their helmets carry this certification in the UK. Since SHARP is not a US standard, their helmets are produced with DOT and ECE ratings for our market.

IMO I think Sharp approach make more sense.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
SCCA, NASA, etc. will only accept Snell Rated Helmet for track events. Amazingly one can buy a Snell Approved helmet for only a bit more than a DOT brain cover ...... around $200-300 bucks.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel