The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help Decide between 2013 Boss 302 VS 2013 Roush RS3 VS 2015 GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I may,
If you have money now, will only own a car for two years, and are worried about depreciation- DON'T BUY A NEW CAR.

If you have some money, need transportation for two years, spend time researching your financing, THEN research USED cars and buy the best (deal) used car you can find. Research/shop just as hard for your financing as you do for your car and you will be able to get a better car at a better TOTAL expenditure of your funds. Don't forget insurance research, either.

A new car owned and financed for two years is a bad investment by almost all measures. Will it be paid off within the two years? Do you plan to sell it before moving overseas?

From a money management standpoint, it makes more sense to hold the already depreciated 2005 V6, spend some money in keeping it tip-top, drive it for two years of enjoyment, and then sell it before you go overseas. Invest the money you save in that two years, add the money from the sale of the V6, invest/save that for the time overseas, and research whatever car you want when you return (if you are returning), and then drop the money you've saved on the best car you've researched for finance/insurance/car. Then, drive the pee out of it.
This from a guy living overseas for the past 7 years with two Mustangs.

I think a used 2011+ GT with axle-backs would be more than enough fun even if it isn't rare. And would depreciate less than new, cost less to insure, excise tax, etc. If you want a V8 Mustang but don't track I think that is a fine option. The Roush and Boss you will fall in love with and it will be that much harder to part with. Spend the cash you saved by buying used to have all fluids changed and new brakes and tires and you will have plenty left over for gas money to drive it around more often. And the 2005-2010 Mustang GTs have dropped in price quite a bit so unless you need all 400+ HP those would be a good relatively inexpensive option as well. And you would have enough cash left over to make a sizable payment on a car overseas. Or maybe offset the cost of a better car that you can hold onto for more than 2 years once you get there, like a Focus RS ;D

Lots of good comments and suggestions here

Nevertheless, no one here can say for sure what future values will be

Check them all out and get the one you like best

Since this will be your DD, you want a good stereo, etc. - I say go for a 2015

It depends on your needs.

DD - 2015 Ecoboost, then pimp it out.
Track - 2015 GT, that suspension rules.
You want the last real Mustang - Boss 302, enough said.
Drag strip - used 2013 Shelby

Good advice to consider from all.

1. I agree on buying New and concerned about Depreciation ( I spend many years in Auto Biz; retail and wholesale.

2. Here's another idea to consider. There are many Boss owners I know, that use their cars for daily driving. Many have said, "the greatest Mustang ever built is the Boss." It's a blast just to drive casually. Hardly see any Bosses on the road. You own something unique and the possibility of less depreciation is certainly attainable.

3. Is there any chance, that after 2 years, you might be in a financial situation to park the Boss and buy something else?

So as I understand it, you want a car that stands out and doesn't depreciate. The boss is awesome and in some cases fits your needs, but remember there are a lot of people making this car a garage queen and will have very few miles on it. A DD will not be in this category. Nicks and dings will cause the car to depreciate. As for the 2015, good luck getting one, remember 2005? BOHICA. Dealers will be gouging loyal mustang fans. My advice is find something that makes you feel good and go for it. I have the Boss because like my 99 super duty, I will drive it until it dies and then resurrect over and over again. Heck, if you only want it for 2 years and only drive 30 miles a day look into a lease.

So many great thoughts :) Its really good to see different perspectives of this.
I am not coming back once I leave, and I wouldn't be able to buy one where I am going. So my plan was to get the best Mustang in my budget.
Out of all the research and advice 2015 and Roush are out of my plate leaving me with BOSS :). Now I will be spending my time trying to find the best deal for 2013 Boss.
Now that 2015 in coming out soon, I was thinking sometime around December/January would be my best bet to get a better deal. (given its not the best time of year people want a 400+ HP rear wheel drive Muscle Car :p).

Wish me Luck :)

I would still appreciate any advice you have for me..

I hope you don't live anywhere that it even thinks of snowing, because the Boss sucks in snow. In fact, if it still has the stock Pirelli tires, you shouldn't even drive it under 40F. Also, the stereo in the Boss sucks no matter what year you get.

It all depends on what kind of depreciation you think is acceptable, and what you pay for the used Boss. As pointed out, if you DD the car, then sell it in two years, you'll be competing with a BUNCH of low mile, hardly driven cars. My 2013, for example, only has 6000 miles and 3000 miles per year is pretty common for these. After the 2015/16 GT350 is out, the Boss will be old news, and I'm guessing a Pristine 2012 Boss in 2017 will go for about $30K. A 2013, might get $33K. A 2012 with 40,000 miles? Maybe $25K. Don't believe me? Look at the hype around the Z06 Corvette when it came out in 2001. By 2005 you could get one for under $30K, and 60,000 mile+ 2001-2004 ones now go for $20K but they have been steady for five years or so. If you want minimal depreciation, you need to buy 5-7 years out, not 2-4. If I wanted a cool car that was almost guaranteed to not depreciate, I'd grab a 1st Gen Z06 and drive the snot out of it. Another option is the Honda S2000, which has leveled out and won't go much lower. We already missed the boat on the Acura NSX, whose values are now taking off like a rocket. I passed on a 50K mile one for $23K a few years ago. Still kicking myself on that one.

As a friend of mine who has a 2007 Roush 427 found out, they don't hold their value. He has $55K in that car, it has every Ford and Roush option, and it is now worth about half that. It has only been paid off for 18 months!

A 2015 GT will be worth half of sticker within five years. Really bad idea.

goutham3561 said:
So many great thoughts :) Its really good to see different perspectives of this.
I am not coming back once I leave, and I wouldn't be able to buy one where I am going.

Wow.

Is it worth permanently going someplace where you can't get one of these? :D

TMO Supporting Vendors