The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help deciding future of GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TL;DR: bought GT350R, wrecked by asshole the next day. Can’t decide what to do. Also own M4 street/track car. Can’t decide if I should keep or sell the GT350R. Options below

Hello All,

My first post here, though I’ve been lurking for a while. In this first post, I have some sad news and need help deciding a direction.

I am the owner if a brand new 2017 GT350R. Unfortunately, the day after I bought it I was hit by an older gentlemen that clearly should not have been driving. He made a left turn while I was at a stop sign and clipped the driver’s front corner. About 20k in damage (hood, fender, bumper, headlight, spoiler, etc). Luckily all of the damage is mostly cosmetic. The car has been at the body shop since 11/27 (I bought it on Black Friday and picked it up the following day) as the parts have proven quite difficult to obtain. I still don’t have it back yet. The car had 90 miles on it when it was hit....

I’m also the owner of a 2016 BMW M4. This is the car I was originally planning on building into my track car. It currently has AP Racing brakes, JRZ RS Pro coilovers, racing seats and a Fall Line Motorsports roll bar. This car is quite unique, however, and is an “Individual” color with full leather and carbon fiber bits. It’s gorgeous, which has me re-thinking the direction.

I originally bought the GT350R as I seem to have a car addiction and this is a rare and fun car. I didn’t really need it, but it was fun driving it and it wasn’t that expensive relative to other things I was considering (Porsche GT3). Quite honestly, it was fun to drive and given the low cost I figured it was worth a try.

I’m very particular about my cars, though. Extremely. I’ve sold cars because they made a squeak noise on the interior trim. I’m just that obsessive. Now that the car has been wrecked, before I even got a chance to really drive it, it feels tainted.

Which leads me to the help I need from you guys. What should I do with the GT350R?

Options:
1. Sell it as soon as I get it back. It will depreciate due to the accident, but I’ve lost love for it. Allows me to focus on my M4 as the track car.

2. Keep it and occasionally track it. Likely still ends up being sold in the future. Keep the M4 as the real track car.

3. Due to the diminished value, strip it and turn it into a real track car. Sell the M4. Or keep the M4 as the streetable sports car.

4. Something I haven’t thought of yet.

I honestly can’t decide. I’ve been going back and forth about this since the accident. And dealing with the insurance company hasn’t helped.

If it were me, I get the GT350R back to new condition (Only cosmetic damage ain't bad) and enjoy driving it more...It's a great car! Your plans for the M4 could remain in place, Altho the GT350rR would make a great track car also....That's a tough call!!!!....Keep and enjoy both is my take...And sue that old geezer for pain and suffering!

When life serves you lemons (and it does/will), it's best to learn how to make lemonade. Fix your GT350R and drive it like you stole it! By the time you change tires for the first time, you'll hardly remember the minor collision you had at 90 miles on the odo. Put another way, what would you do if you had sustained the same cosmetic damage "on track" in the R, or even in your M4?

Last edited:
Welcome to TMO. Unfortunately I know where you're coming from on this. Accidents can happen at any time on the street or track. I'd keep your M4 as a street car, sell the GT350R and buy yourself a dedicated track car or race car like a Boss 302S. Sounds like you have some track experience so get a dedicated track car so when something bad happens to it, and it's pretty much inevitable, then you won't be worrying about messing up your nice street driven car.

Thanks guys.

Yes, lots of track experience. Had a fully prepped race car (Subaru STi), but sold it a few years back to try and simplify life. Clearly I can’t stay away for too long.

The diminished value on the GT350R is why I was considering caging it and turning it into the hard core track car. I’d like to keep the M4 streetable as it’s far nicer than the Shelby from a fit and finish perspective. And it was quite a bit more new.

@CA302LS - your question is the crux of the problem. Had I damaged it on my own, it would be different. This feels tainted as I hadn’t even owned it 20 hours when it got hit. If it was my fault, I’d live with it.

@VoodooBoss - that’s exactly the point of this question. Trying to determine if it’s worth converting the GT350R to the full track car and not hold anything back.... this rational is also how I ended up with the full race car the first time

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
“Lost your love for 350R”.

Special duty stuff like R’s and M4’s are essentially all emotion... not much logic there. So... sell the R and get an already prepped single purpose track car... love is gone... will always be rationalizing why you kept it.

“Lost your love for 350R”.

Special duty stuff like R’s and M4’s are essentially all emotion... not much logic there. So... sell the R and get an already prepped single purpose track car... love is gone... will always be rationalizing why you kept it.

I typically agree. However, the hardware differences for the Shelby (the 5.2L) seem like they would make enough difference to warrant keeping it for a track car. If the value is gone, might as well enjoy the engine/suspension/brakes.

Sell the R to me....would I get a TMO discount?...Not that I deserve it....My Boss is not liking this post!!!!

Make me an offer I can't refuse :)

Your heart isn’t in the R anymore. If you’ve got the means to do it I would convert it to a dedicated track car. Once you get it out on the track you will want to keep it. They are that good and that much fun. Good luck with everything!

The damage does not look that bad. I would fix it and enjoy it. I can tell you that I am having a blast converting mine to a dedicated track car. Lots of nice parts available and help from this forum.

So, new problem... I bought a 2016 Porsche GT3 RS (which has been my dream car for as long as I can remember). I was going to keep the GT350R, but honestly just not sure I’ll ever drive it. The M4 is gone..

So, what say you - keep it or move it on to someone who can actually enjoy it?

So, new problem... I bought a 2016 Porsche GT3 RS (which has been my dream car for as long as I can remember). I was going to keep the GT350R, but honestly just not sure I’ll ever drive it. The M4 is gone..

So, what say you - keep it or move it on to someone who can actually enjoy it?
I actually like this move.

Heres the question, are you going to race the piss out of the GT3 and are you "OK" with using it like that? If not, which i know i wouldn't be, id keep the 350R as your budget minded fun day out hitting limiters and scrubbing tires.

If you are ok tracking the GT3, the question then is are you going to be ok driving it on the street and the risks of some old guy clipping you again? Either way i do see the value of the 350R, it would be a good interesting daily or it could be the track mule it was meant to be. The question is the GT3 RS and how you plan to use it.

Its really hard to give advice to an individual who is on very different financial terms with out knowing whats affordable and reasonable to you.

E1FEB100-BA85-4278-9E1F-A826AA9BA7F8.jpeg
I actually like this move.

Heres the question, are you going to race the piss out of the GT3 and are you "OK" with using it like that? If not, which i know i wouldn't be, id keep the 350R as your budget minded fun day out hitting limiters and scrubbing tires.

If you are ok tracking the GT3, the question then is are you going to be ok driving it on the street and the risks of some old guy clipping you again? Either way i do see the value of the 350R, it would be a good interesting daily or it could be the track mule it was meant to be. The question is the GT3 RS and how you plan to use it.

Its really hard to give advice to an individual who is on very different financial terms with out knowing whats affordable and reasonable to you.

So, fair points. I have actually considered doing exactly that. The problem is that given my schedule, etc., I only get out to the track 4-5 weekends a year at this point. Given that relatively limited time, I’d probably take the GT3.

Would I beat on it, no. Would I need to, probably not. I’m not trying to win any DE trophies at this point, just having fun.

I have considered working on the 350R, especially as I already have a bunch of parts waiting on it (roll bar, camber plates, etc.). The problem is that I just don’t know if I’d actually use it vs let it collect dust in my garage...

TMO Supporting Vendors